Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Question

jeffturk

i was poking around a shop the other day and came across a 6.5 japanese. price was $450. NOT WORKING CONDITION. or as the shop owner said, a "parts gun". damn pricy for a parts gun. it did have a mannlicher style stock. which i am actually kinda digging. any ideas if this parts gun would be worth grabbing? actually i think, i want this gun. help!

i was poking around a shop the other day and came across a 6.5 japanese. price was $450. NOT WORKING CONDITION. or as the shop owner said, a "parts gun". damn pricy for a parts gun. it did have a mannlicher style stock. which i am actually kinda digging. any ideas if this parts gun would be worth grabbing? actually i think, i want this gun. help!

$450.............for a parts gun. :lol: RUN,RUN FAST. Second thought, laugh in his face, then RUN.

JM2C

i was thinking of offering the guy 250 or maybe 300 at the most. i thought the same thing you guys did. i kept walking back to that rifle tho. i think 300 is the most i would go on that piece. everything looks great on it. just does not fire. something is wrong with the bolt because it does not move from one side to the other (safe-fire).

The average Arisaka in working condition might be worth $300 cash. $450 is too much.

For a parts gun, especially something that's been worked over by someone else, you might go $150.

My advice: walk away

• 2 weeks later...

If its been sporterized and doesnt even work, I would say its a 50 dollar gun. 100 dollars if it can still shoot. An unsported type 38 doesnt even cost that much. BTW, the safety might be on, and thats why the bolt wont move. But if its not the case and it doesnt fire, I wouldnt even waste my time on it.