Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Anyone Planning on Tulsa?

Dr.Hess

You know, growing up in Oklahoma, I used to avoid Tulsa like the plague...being from the OKC/Norman environs, and with our own in-state rivalries.

However, with all the talk about how great the Tulsa show is, it's very tempting to try and disguise myself and check it out!

Well, maybe next year anyway...after I move to New Mexico and haven't already been a bazillion trips all over the place!

Ooo, I just realized that I have land not too far from Tulsa...maybe I'll camp out there and REALLY spend some time at the show!

If you go, Dr. Hess, please let us know how it is...other than really big! LOL!

My aunt and uncle used to live near Tulsa and when we got a chance to go down for a visit I always reserved a chance to stop at the Davis gun museum in Clairmore.

Is it still open?

They had a fabulous selection of guns and memorabelia.

If it is still there I would highly recommend a visit.

I'm sure thinking about it,but am in the middle of trying to buy and sell a house,so may not get to go.The last time I went I decided I'd just stick with Dallas gunshow from now on,because they had much more Mauser stuff than Tulsa did and a much smaller show,but I got a hankering to go to Tulsa again.Jerry

If anyone hasn't been and is thinking about it, I would say it is the best show I have ever been to. Makes the big show in Houston look small. Here's a link:

http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/frames.html

I went about 3 times in a row, and got burnt out on it. Really, after that one I don't even bother with other shows anymore.

Anyway, I am thinking about a VZ-24 or other full length 98 type. Maybe a real nice Turk (if such a thing still exists) or maybe one of those Israeli 98 re-barrels. I dunno. Kinda want to keep it to 8mm or 30-06. I don't have anything in 308, but with ammo cheap, I might consider that too. And I'm keeping my eye out for an extra barrel for my wife's High Standard, but it is pretty rare (screw take down Supermatic Trophy). It's just fun to look, but just lookin' is how I wound up with a 1964 Model 70 last time I went to Tulsa.

Dr.Hess

• 3 weeks later...

Tulsa SitRep:

I enjoyed the show. We stayed Friday night at the RipOff Inn, which was fortunately a nice room, but at the price, you just can't help but feeling screwed. At least we got breakfast out of it. Got to the show about 0800, left about 1700 and I think this was the first time I actually walked the whole show. There were some empty tables this year. Not a lot, but some. Saw Wiseguy and his TN gun parts and we talked a few minutes. I think the crowd was a bit thinner than previous shows. Some said it was because it was the first weekend of black powder deer season. I think it is the cost of gas, etc. Although gas was $2.19 in Tulsa and it is $2.55 100 miles away in Fayetteville.

I think that the gun prices in general are coming down a bit, and the variety is up. I remember some shows where every single table is nothing but AR's, then others when every table is SAA's at $4K. This one had more variety and more reasonable prices, but there were still quite a few guns that I think they just added an extra digit to the price at one end or the other and figured that if someone was foolish enough to buy it, what the heck. I bought the second nicest Turk I saw. The nicest was 50% more and he wasn't coming down. Might have been worth it, as it looked brand new. There were no Helwans, which you guys know I am fond of. I'm looking for a new car, and with a new car goes a new Helwan.... Can't find either. Lots of parts guns, like the AK's. A recent SGN had a good article on how to legally make one from a kit and a receiver. It was good reading. And if you make it a pistol, you don't have to use the 10 US parts and you can use a short barrel. Passed on them as I really have enough projects now anyway. As a side note, the Arkansas concealed carry law states that a legal carry handgun is less than so much barrel length, so, near as I can tell (and I also asked the instructor this), it is not legal to carry something like a Super-14 Contender and I doubt an AK pistol would be technically a legal carry in AR. Probably pretty hard to conceal on your person too, especially with a 40 round mag in place. I need to renew in the next 6 months, so I may address this again. Saw some 7.62 Musers. One was an Israeli re-barrel that they wanted three bills for (dream on), one had no crest markings at all and I was worried might be one of those Spanish ones, and the other was a Spanish one. After all I have read, I don't trust the Spanish ones that aren't supposed to even be really 7.62, so I passed.

The ATF had a booth and many agents standing behind it. They were giving out regulations reference guides for Fed and State, so I picked one of each up. Bought a couple of small accessories, and that was about it. Came home with most of my money. A good time, and I probably had my gunshow fix for another year or two.

Dr.Hess

Yeah, I did see some Husqvarna stuff, but I'm not up on those and I need a new caliber like....

Cleaned my Turk and did some research. It is a 1903 model, made in 1940. All the numbers match, milled trigger/mag housing. After a good scrubbing, the barrel looks new. The whole thing looks like it has never been issued. Cocks on closing, 93 style. I didn't know they had that many variations. I'm happy with it.

My other Turk that I built a high power competition rifle from was stamped 1946 or 1947, I think, and has no thumb cut.

Dr.Hess