Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Help On Set Up

spec4 e4

First see if you can find some instructions for your paint gun. Harbor Freight has instructions for their online if you go to the page showing them. If you can't find the instructions, then, going from memory, set your regulator up to about 50 PSI for starters. Get some paint to practice with and a lot of thinner to clean with afterwards. Best to practice with what you'll be shooting, of course, but otherwise try to get something cheap that's kinda the same. Like a laquer or whatever you plan on using. Even getting a quart can of Rustoleum and a gallon of "Mineral Spirits" (regular, not "slow evaporating") and thinning the paint 25% will get you something to play with. Then you can try changing your air pressure and the gun settings.

I have one from Grizzly that I bought about four years ago for spraying furniture. It works fine. You get what you pay for, so don't buy the cheapest one. I just pdf'd a good Fine Woodworking article on finish problems, with pictures. If you need the pdf in the future, message me your email address. I'm bound to have a pdf article on spraying too.

I've been to Olathe. Friend of mine used to live there.

HF has a really nice HVLP setup with hoses and a separate head for around $50. I have the same setup but in conventional high pressure, not HVLP. I like it because you can work the head separate from the paint supply, shoot straight up, etc. and not have to worry about dripping or your gun not getting paint. You can get a 20% off coupon in SGN, American Rifleman, etc. I have a $10 HVLP gun from them that they don't stock anymore, or costs more (about 40-50, I think), that would work well for woodwork also. I shot this with it:

Locost_Painted1.jpg

It's the small one with the cup on top of the gun.

No, it's called a Locost. It's basically a clone of an early 60's Lotus 7. I built it from scratch. That is, a pile of tubes and some sheets of aluminum and stainless. That's just after I painted it. I'm doing the wiring and plumbing now.

Yeah, I'm in my 10th year of the build. Can't get in too much of a hurry when you're building a car from scratch. I was going at a pretty good clip until I bought the Esprit, then progress slowed as my need for a sports car was filled. Life also tends to get in the way. Here's a more recent pic:

PA250034.jpg