Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Gun Safe! ;-)

724wd

I've heard of several people using old pop machines for gun safes. Now what you need to do is make it so it works, while keeping your guns safe. Then when a thief sees it he won't think something is stored in it. :-)

how's it going to stand up to a fire?

Probably just as good as most safes. From my research I've found that even ones that are fire proof don't stand up for very long. I've read a lot of stories about ones who had a firesafe and the stocks and papers they stored in it were scorched.

Granted I'm no expert by any means, but this seems to be pretty standard from what I've read.

I bet that with the insulation inside there, it would stand up OK to a fire. You have to remember that all a gun safe has for fire protection is two pieces of sheet rock. The "good" ones have two pieces of 3/4" sheet rock. The lesser ones might have 2 pieces of 1/2". That's it. And the steel on a typical gun safe is 11 guage mild steel. They should come with a can opener in case you forget your combination. Everything else on them is bling. I bet a fire ax would go through that 11 ga.

I suggest a hand drawn "Out of Order" sign hanging on the front of it. That way a thief will think there's no money inside to bother trying to break into it for. And don't show anyone including your friends and relatives the safe either. The "strength" of that safe is its camoflage.

word from the firefighters is that in a fire, if a safe is hosed, everything inside rusts in seconds due to the steam...

i was planning to sheetrock it to help.

word from the firefighters is that in a fire, if a safe is hosed, everything inside rusts in seconds due to the steam...

i was planning to sheetrock it to help.

Would putting in some dehumidifiers help? I know they have them for safes.

A dehumidifier wouldn't help with the rust after being hit with a fire hose, but I find they help with general storage. You can get a "closet dehumidifier" from Wally World if you look hard enough. No one knows they are even there, but they are usually within an isle of the vacuum cleaners and next to the moth balls. I have one inside my bead blast cabinate. Really helps a lot with that.