Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Karl

FC

Karl,

I keep hearing very good things about Aiken, SC, where we are moving, from people from that area. Some of them have been from Augusta, GA, and liked that too. Property certainly is reasonable, and SC is said to be one of the lowest tax states. Just in case you are still scoping out places to live.

Actually, the ones that escaped from the PRC are the good ones. The ones left in the PRC either can't escape or like it like that. Up here, seems like the other half are from Texas.

The Californians that literally invade Arizona after every major earthquake bring their politics with them. The majority I'm told join the Democrat party. The only good thing about the invasion into Arizona is it drives up property values, higher end houses especially.

AZ, you forgot the best part: it gets those bungholes out of here.

Sorry, Arizona is a good state. Hate to see it spread, but I guess they have to go somewhere. Hope the retro-Arkies do better. Reverse Dust Bowl, go figger.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, QKarl. Welcome aboard.

We're not all jackasses here and a lot of us are fighting to save the place. Actually it's a pretty conservative state but we are dominated by LA and SF. The scoundrels that dominate us mostly came from somewhere else and we hope to run them back to where they came.

Pray for us.

Brad

Tony, you're getting close to my part of the country! The good news is (1) deer hunting is very good with a long season and generous bag limit, (2) property is affordable, (3) no evil big cities, (4) the ocean isn't too far with VERY good fishing. The bad news is (1) hot, humid summers, (2) bugs, (3) sometimes can't understand the locals speaking Southern (they're probably complaining about all the carpetbagging Yankees moving in).

I think the good outweighs the bad. At least its not DC with all the charm of a Northern city, and all the efficiency of a Southern city.

I figure waterbugs weren't called Palmetto Bugs for nothing. I imagine the summers are like Louisiana. The humidity can make things pretty uncomfortable, esp. in the garage. Wonder if insulating the shop and installing air conditioning is a good idea? Thanks for the information. You are in NC, right? I've been wondering if shooting is allowed on 4.2 acres in the country? If your neighbors shoot, then I guess you can. There's nothing much behind the place. I've been looking at the aerial view (haven't seen the place yet) and it looks pretty sandy. Barbara's dad said the back end of the property has a hill. I could make an indoor .22 range in that 3 car garage- my girls would like that. The fishing sounds good. So far, the residents don't sound like they have that much of an accent. I'll tell ya, in Louisiana, the black folks in the country could be terribly hard to understand.

Yes, if you've stayed in Lousiana, SC will be no shock. I imagine that if you're outside of the city with a good backstop that noone will give you any trouble about shooting :). They don't out here, although in some counties you've got to be 8 ft off the ground to shoot a centerfire rifle. 4.5 acres is a decent sized parcel, especially with nothing behind you. Hopefully you've got some deer there too!

It's FLAT and sandy up this way too. It seems like the coastal plain from S. VA all the way down FL used to be ocean floor in the not too distant past, geologically speaking. Its good for garden drainage and tomatoes grow like weeds.

AC in the shop is HIGHLY recommended. I lasted 2 yrs without it, until I ran a duct from the house. It's hard to reload with sweat dripping off your nose. It was perfect for rust bluing though :).

SC is a shall issue concealed carry state, and permits are good from VA to FL and may western states. Even if you're not packing it's peace of mind knowing that you can transport firearms pretty much how you want. I miss the West, but the rural South has started growing on me. I hope you enjoy it too!