Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tactical Mockup

I just had to post pics of my mockup of my current build. It is a .308 tactical rifle built on a 1908 Brazilian action (DWM manufacture), a Parker Hale bull barrel from Sarco approx 5 years ago, an ATI stock, Burris one-piece mount, Leupold medium rings, cheap bipod, and 4-12x50 AO Simmons ProHunter scope.

The bipod will be replaced with a Harris. The scope will be replaced with a Leupold Mark 4 clone.

The donor rilfe for the action had a severely beat up stock, a rusty pitted barrel, a lot of dirt and grime and a rock-bottom price to go with it. But the action looked good from the pics and I didn't see any pitting above the woodline and the seller said there was none below so I took a chance. The action cleaned up really nice and the original bluing was still intact without a spot of rust or pitting. The fresh metal look currently on the front ring is me starting to polish it up a little.

I got lucky with the fit of the barrel and the headspace. Shank length of the barrel was perfect for the receiver. I screwed the barrel on and headspace was right on.

It looks like the ATI stocks were made for these Parker-Hale barrels. All I had to do was open up the channel a tiny bit at the forend and everything dropped right in.

With the medium rings the bell of the scope has about 1/8th of an inch of clearance from the barrel. It doesn't look like there is that much in the top pic, but that's because of the Butler Creek front scope cover. With the front scope cover on there is a paper thin clearance. I'm hoping the Leupold scope won't be much bigger in the front bell or else I'll have to go with high rings.

I've got everything I need to finish building this one except to have a new bold handle welded and I need to buy a Buehler style safety. I was planning on going with a PME 2 position safety, but the machined shroud that I bought wouldn't even screw on past two threads on this bolt. It would on two other bolts that I had but neither of those bolts headspaced properly on this action. So I decided to stick with the bolt that came with the action (even though it is not numbers matching it fits very well) and forego the shroud already machined for the swing safety. Plus the original bolt had 50% plus contact on the front locking lugs already so it didn't take much work to get up to 90% on each side. I already have a Timney Sportsman trigger from the group buy so the additional cost for the Buehler style safety is minimal. But I might decide to go with a trigger with a side safety and use a commercial style shroud instead. I think it will look much cleaner and appropriate for this build. I'll save the swing safety for the next one.

After finishing gathering parts I just need to fit trigger and safety, check feeding, extraction and ejection, prep metal, bed everything, and then all the metal is getting Duracoat flat black. I haven't decided yet if I'll leave the stock flat black or if I'll go with a camo pattern. I'm leaning towards making everything flat black for this one and going with a camo design for the next tactical build.

Sorry for the messy workbench. I really had no intentions of taking pics but once I got it all put together I just had to snap a couple with my cell phone and run in here and post them :)

4597702008_c20f7c6182_b_d.jpg

4597085747_ed2d07dd44_b_d.jpg

Here is my ATI stock with the PH barrel. It is on the Yugo M48 action. I did the stock with the bed liner spray. Fill in the gaps in the barrel channel with plastic weld and steel threaded rod. Did not have time to put the barrel receiver together, Low Tech did that for me.

Rob

post-26-127356674815_thumb.jpg

Here is mine. I removed the rock hard recoil pad and replaced it. Plus shortened the barrel for a little more handiness. Bolt is forged, but I think I am going to have it cut off and a PTG Tactial bolt handle for a Rem 700 welded on. It is about 1/2" longer for more leverage. Stock is finished in Sand colored Plasti-Kote Fleck Stone which leaves a rouch, stone like surface. Non reflective, and rough to the touch for easy gripping. Gaps in the barrel channel were filled with expanding foam. Stock came without a cheek piece, so I am going to install a Desert Warrior adjustable cheek piece.

000_2037.jpg

With the medium rings the bell of the scope has about 1/8th of an inch of clearance from the barrel. It doesn't look like there is that much in the top pic, but that's because of the Butler Creek front scope cover. With the front scope cover on there is a paper thin clearance. I'm hoping the Leupold scope won't be much bigger in the front bell or else I'll have to go with high rings.

Dan if you're considering one of the Chinese clones you shouldn't have any trouble if you order the model with the 40MM bell (3.5-10X40). My first one was 3.5-10X50 and I had the same problem and had to buy higher rings. The rings the Chinaman has been including with the Leupold clones should work ok.