Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Computer Won't Talk Tp Monitor

karlunity

I am working on another computer: A Compaq evo 510.

The computer boots and the green ieds are on, but the monitor is dark and it's light stays amber.

It is not the monitor, I switched them..I cleaned the MB..all the boards and wires are tight and the ram is OK. It stated for a bit last night, figured it was fixed but went dead again when I turned it back on this morning. I put in a new vid card,still dead. I cannot pull the old vid card as it is built in.

Most times I would just make this into "Parts" but there were only two computers in third grade to began with so I would like to restore this if I can.

I went to google and the HP site..no joy.

Any Ideas

Karl

Just a couple ideas to try. If you have 2 sticks of memory, swap them around. Does the machine emit multiple beeps when booting? Also, check the monitor cable for any bent pins.

It's possible that the power supply is not functioning properly, can you swap a PS from another working machine? It's not too hard to change a PS. It's probably the most common failure on a PC.

Spiris

OK. It stated for a bit last night, figured it was fixed but went dead again when I turned it back on this morning. I put in a new vid card,still dead. I cannot pull the old vid card as it is built in.

Any Ideas

Karl

I had a similar issue recently with an on board network card.

The on board card needed to be disabled.

Nice trick to disable the video card when you can't see what you are doing.

Sounds like you may have an intermittent problem. If you are lucky it is thermal.

I'd suggest that you leave the new video card in then put the computer in the refrigerator

or turn the air conditioning down and put it in front of the vent.

If you put it in the fridge, hopefully you would have time to pull it out and hook it up

boot up etc and still be able to disable the on board video card before it craps out.

Good luck!

T

Karl, here's the beep code for your problem computer. I hope it helps. I'm not sure if

2 beeps may actually indicate a bad power supply or not. I have an ATX power supply tester that tests output. I got it from the GEEKS site for $10 a few years ago and it's paid for itself many times over.

Pre-boot Diagnostic Codes

1 Beep, Processor fault 1. Check that processor and heatsink are properly installed.

2 Beeps, Power supply overload (crowbar) 1. Disconnect all external devices and restart the computer. If

the computer starts correctly, add devices one-at-a-time

until the overload situation is achieved and the faulty

device is identified.

3 Beeps, Memory error 1. Verify that memory modules are properly installed in the

computer.

4 Beeps, Graphics solution error Replace the system board.

5 Beeps, Plug and Play initialization error Replace the system board.

6 Beeps, BIOS corrupt. Reflash BIOS Reflash the BIOS.

7 Beeps, Bad system board Replace the system board.

Spiris