Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bullet Trap/ Shooting Backstop Types

FC

www.rubbercal.com

Rubber, when thick enough, makes an excellent target holder and something to slow or stop bullets. You can staple to it. I like rubber sheets with fabric interlaced, like tires. This company recommends C.I. Sheet and Skirtboard.

Really depends on what and how much you're shooting, doesn't it? I mean, if you're shooting 22's, a 1/8" steel plate angled into some sand will do you fine. For 9mm, maybe 1/4" plate. For 30-06, you're going to need something serious.

I have a pellet trap I use in the house with a pellet rifle. I had to add a piece of steel plate to the back, because my chinese clone of a german air rifle was banging up the trap pretty good. It will fragment the pellets, but catches most of it and I sweep up the rest that escapes when I'm done. I have a range bag I bring down to the kitchen with my spotting scope, targets, elbow pads, sling, etc.

www.rubbercal.com

Rubber, when thick enough, makes an excellent target holder and something to slow or stop bullets. You can staple to it. I like rubber sheets with fabric interlaced, like tires. This company recommends C.I. Sheet and Skirtboard.

At the club I'm a member at we used to use thick rubber sheets with a dirt hill backing in order to trap bullets. It worked very effectively. However the metal piping we used to hold the rubber sheets up (they are very heavy) caused much concern from our neighbors because shooters were hitting them instead of the targets. We ended up pulling the metal pipes and cables and removed the rubber sheets. Now you have to bring your own target stand with you to the range.

Thanks for sharing the video. I always wondered how bullet traps worked.

Really depends on what and how much you're shooting, doesn't it? I mean, if you're shooting 22's, a 1/8" steel plate angled into some sand will do you fine. For 9mm, maybe 1/4" plate. For 30-06, you're going to need something serious.

I have a pellet trap I use in the house with a pellet rifle. I had to add a piece of steel plate to the back, because my chinese clone of a german air rifle was banging up the trap pretty good. It will fragment the pellets, but catches most of it and I sweep up the rest that escapes when I'm done. I have a range bag I bring down to the kitchen with my spotting scope, targets, elbow pads, sling, etc.

I would think it would also depend heavily on what type of projectile your shooting. for example a soft point 30-06 isn't going to penetrate like a steel core or armor piercing round.

On a side note, the fact that you have a range bag for your kitchen I think is hilarious. If I did that I think my wife would divorce me.

I'm still waiting (perhaps in vain) for a response from the Aiken County Sheriff's Dept. on laws regarding shooting at the place we are moving to soon. At the least I will put a .22 indoor range in the 3 car garage, but would like to shoot high-power rifles and my flintlock outdoors. I have a sand hill that would be a good backer. With only 4.2 acres, I understand the need for caution and courtesy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey FC, I did some google searching for you and found a couple threads in another forum of some DIY bullet traps that may work for you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=21235

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26627