Military Firearm Restoration Corner

C&R Question?

bubbamauser

I'm not sure who to put as the chief law enforcement officer

4807[/snapback]

In Arizona several years ago most county sheriffs and police cheifs were refusing to sign class three applications. Robert Corbin a former NRA officer and at the time the Arizona Attorney General signed the applications, claiming he was the cheif LEO for the entire state. ATF never challenged it.

Guest MorgansBoss

From the ATF website; "...As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the state police, or state or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable...."

This excerpt is actually from the text regarding NFA firearms but was the only one I found in a quick check of the site making direct reference to who the CLEO actually is. I'm sure it's the same for GCA firearms but it wouldn't hurt to call em Monday to make sure.

If I am not wrong, the "Chief Law Enforcement Officer" does not have to sign the application. He is simply the recipient of a copy of the application for information purposes. Pick one and send it. It can rot on his/her desk, but unless he/she makes some sort of issue over it, it won't hold up your application.

Clemson

According to the "manual" I purchased to assist me in filling out my C&R, you're supposed to use the sheriff of the county you live in, even if you live within city limits. Traditionally it's the sheriff’s office that will keep track of such things, and if the ATF ever needed to raid your house, it would be the sheriff's office that they would coordinate with, not a metro PD. Anyway, that's what I did and I had no issues.

Just my .02

mimic

Guest MorgansBoss

"...I'm thinking the correct answer is the Chief of Police,

at least that's what I used over here in western Pa"

Since you're in PA, I'd recommend Tinkers above advise. While the Sheriff is traditionally the CLOE (I've worked for one for over twenty years) things are a little different in PA. Even though I'm right next door I still don't understand ya'lls system, but the fact that tinkerfiver has already done it - well you can't argue with success.