Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Firefly

Sailormilan2

Has anyone been watching that new Science Fiction series called Firefly? Kind of interesting. It has futuristic space travel, but almost all the weapons are typical for our time period. So far, I have seen an Astra 400, a P38, a Winchester Mod. 97 pump shotgun, a Blaser sniper rifle, a cut down Winchester lever rifle ala the old Steve McQueen series. The heroe carries a pistol that I am still trying to identify. A lot of the dress is old Western style clothing. So, it makes for a rather interesting series..........especially with the quircky style of humor in it.

The shows is what the new movie "Serenity" is based on. Which was rather interesting in that there were 40 mm Bofor AA cannons being used against space ships.

Quite a mix.

Firefly was cancelled after one season. My wife likes it so much she bought the DVD set. We saw the movie the other day, and it's well worth seeing.

What I find interesting about the weapons is that they are all somewhat "uncommon" I don't recall ever seeing a Glock, Sig or anything a non enthusiest would instantly recognize.

If you like futuristic TV space series and don't mind a cartoon, try Cowboy Bebop. My ex got me hooked on this series and I ended up buying the boxed DVD set.

I rate this as a more adult oriented cartoon do to violence and profanity. It's probably on par with a PG-13 movie. For an anime series, there is a lot of character development and a whole host of things you won't catch or pick up on until you've seen each episode a few times. You can catch it sometimes late at night on the Cartoon Network though I will submit that you may not understand it as you'll be seeing a mere snapshot of the entire series and it will most likely be out of order. Still, it may be worth a try if you're bored and have 30 minutes. Though its a little different, you may want to give it a try if you like regular TV series that follow this type of story line.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread. I did want to offer my $.02 though.

Jason

Firefly was an excellent series, and "Serenity" was an excellent movie.

So was "Cowboy Bebop", not for everybody, but give it a shot to see if you like it.

I like stories about a group of misfits wandering the stars in a hunk of junk spaceship trying to earn a living smile.gif

Jimro