Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Threw Out My Back, Lost My Job...

724wd

WTF? it wasn't a great job, but it was SOMEthing... threw out my back on tuesday night. wednesday had some x-rays taken, they were kinda thinking maybe it was scar tissue from my surgery two years ago. anywho, can't exactly change tires and whatnot not being able to move much. boss said something about putting someone in my place while i healed, but today i picked up my check and he's asking for all my uniforms and stuff... said after i figure this out, if i swing by, MAYBE they MIGHT have something for me. oh well, right? geh! F- them! unemployment, here i come!

heath

no, not at work. i was home, reaching for a ratchet at waist level. i'm not terribly broken up about the job, it was a crapfest from day one, but not having one isn't much fun!

Just remember, what you are supposed to do if you hurt yourself at home. You drag yourself to work, and somehow "fall" down the stairs. Then you are covered! :lol:

While I working for the Post Office as a union officer I had to deal with at home injuries that the employee claimed happened at work. People being their worst enemy often bragged how they beat the system. Like a school room scenario there is always somebody that wants to earn a few brownie points and rats them out. The problem with a govt job if one gets caught filing a phony worker's comp claim. it is much more serious that losing one's job. They had to deal with Postal Inspectors and risk of being charged with a felony for fraud. I watched two Postal Inspectors hand cuff and arrest an employee right on the loading dock. I wasn't privy to all the details but did learn he hurt his back in a skiing injury, got a few weeks of paid leave and medical bills paid. He would have beat the system if he had only kept his mouth shut.

I sat through a 3 hour interview as an employee's union rep with Postal Inspectors. Everything she claimed she couldn't do because of the "on the job" injury. The Postal Inspectors had photographs of her doing it at home or elsewhere. The Inspectors had some how got medical records on her going back to her teenage years. She was fortunate enough to be offered a chance to resign to avoid prosecution. She also had to allow the US Office of Worker's Comp to put a lien on her retirement savings to cover the medical bills she ran up.

The Inspectors were like sharks going after worker's comp fraud. When ever you think your medical records are private from the govt. Think twice because there is a paper trail of insurance claims an investigator can easily get access to and follow. Dr's, hospitals, pharmacies and any medical practitioner or vendor usually cave in and provides medical records under the threat of being kicked out of Medicare and to a lessor extent state or US funded worker's comp and health insurance. Generally there is a medical records release the employee unknowingly signs in the mound of paper work generated by a worker's comp claim. My experience was before HIPA. I honestly don't know if worker's comp investigators can still get medical records as easily since the law changed.

In summary if you file a questionable worker's comp claim, tell no one not even your spouse. NEVER tell a co-worker. The co-worker may be a good friend but a few years down the road he/she gets po'd at you for any reason they may rat you out. An emotionally injured spouse while going through a tough divorce might also turn you in. Take my word for it I've seen it happen. The best bet is don't try and cheat the system. Don't file a worker's comp claim unless you were really injured on the job.

Go find a good chiropractor. Get fixed up and go back to work. In your spare time, find a job you like.

I'm in 100% agreement with that. Also find a real physical therapist. Not the type that is recommended by TV lawyers. Their main concern is running up the bill and numbers for a 3rd party whiplash claim. There are some good ones but you might have to look around. If you get a physical therapist that puts you on an exercise bike or machine and forgets you're there, find another. A good physical therapist and Chiropractor will take it beyond their equipment with exercise programs, traction, diet, heat and ultra sound treatments just to name a few.

The government and the insurance companies have even more access post HIPAA. HIPAA, "we" peons were told, was to "protect our privacy" from things like someone looking at records at the nursing station. Like that ever happened. Not. What HIPAA really did was put a little loophole in there that says that any insurance agency (including the government) can look at all your records anytime they want to without ever having to even ask your permission. Some "privacy" we got there, huh? Meantime they go around threatening doctors about "patient privacy rights" and having some form signed and don't tell anyone how the patient is doing. Total screw job put in place by Uncle Bill as a step towards Hillarycare, now Obamacare.

it's just so much easier to tell the truth. yeah, it's gonna cost me more, but i'm not always looking over my shoulder to see if anyone is watching. my old man always told me, "if you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." it's worked so far for me.

docs say it just the continuation of degenerative disc disease. surgery two years ago, this, and probably in the future. i have done so PT with a pretty good guy. he'd push me HARD on the treadmill! the ultrasonic/heat massage was nice, but i didn't notice any concrete results. the outside of my right leg/foot is basically dead from the surgery, but no biggie... it's the tingling in my arms and legs from this last episode i don't like much. doc said it might be the high dose of prednasone i'm on... hope so!

funny side note... when i got the x-rays taken, i had on a pair of draw cord shorts. guy took the first picture and came out asking if there was something metal, like a BB in the hem. i ran my hand over it and nothing...... then it hit me. i had been eating a turkey my daughter and i shot last fall... and must have eaten a BB! tech said it looked like it wouldnt be there much longer... :-)

724 I'm no Dr but have been living with a bad back that started giving me trouble at 10 years old. Chiropractors or Osteopaths have helped me remarkably especially for the tingling in my feet and finger tips but most importantly reduces the pain. The manipulative treatment doesn't cure the problem but the treatment coupled with traction the temporary fix is well worth it.

I have two traction devices. A table like device that hangs me upside down by my feet for my lower back. Another I attach to my bedroom door with water filled bags for weight for my neck. My upside down table has made me a popular person. Friends and neighbors will show up occasionally asking me if they can "hang" around for about 15 minutes or so. I highly recommend both devices but like I said I'm not a Dr so I strongly encourage you to run it by your Dr and clear it with him before you try either device.

My co-pay was $20 for intermittent neck traction from a physical therapist and their machine had a 45lb max pull. A Nero surgeon recommended the water weight neck traction device to me. The guy was so good it took weeks to get an appointment with him. He told me I could continue the 2-3 times weekly neck traction from the physical therapist or pay for his next Cadillac trying to fix it surgically. Then he handed me some Xerox copies saying I could try this before I risk surgery with no guarantee. The paperwork he gave me showed the neck traction device. I'm really glad I consulted with the guy for a 2nd opinion and avoided the surgery.

Just sayin'. You may have a marketable skill that you are unaware of. It is darn near impossible to find knowledgeable gun store help. Finding a person with knowledge, ability to hold a conversation on diverse topics, and that is able to suppress their own preferences when dealing with customers is harder than finding the proverbial needle in a haystack.

The people that walk in the door come from many walks of life. With one you may discuss harvest, the next Kagan. If someone wants a 280, you must bite your lip if you think the 270 is better. In addition to these attributes, you gotta know your stuff.

I wish I could find a decent employee. Good luck Heath. LL

I wish I could find a decent employee. Good luck Heath. LL

I know that feeling very well. When I had my uniform business every time I thought I had the right employee the skeletons would come out of the closet. Drugs was the biggest problem, sticky fingers second and my partner developing a sexual relationship third. Once I finally hired the ideal employee my competition stole her away with a $500 a month pay increase. To a small business a loyal, honest and non drug using employee is hard to find but more important keeping them around is the biggest obstacle.

Small businesses have to compete with large corporations with excellent bennys for good employees. I could offer a little more per hour but no way could I equal the bennys especially health insurance. Being an honest person means an honest employee and honesty means loyalty to his/her employer. A small business will bend over backward keeping an honest and loyal person as an employee.

I hired a woman that I thought was perfect. She was, to be blunt ugly and fat and didn't appeal to my partner. I set her up for a couple of stings involving cash she could have easily pocketed and both times every dime was accounted for. Then my insurance agent dropped a bomb. I was buying worker's comp through a private carrier rather than the state. The agent said she was an on the job injury with a long term recovery waiting to happen. I had to terminate her or look for another workers comp carrier. I was told they would not re-new the insurance if she continued working for me. She had a 20 year track record of lifting injuries turning into 6-12 month paid vacations. It was hard letting her go with the tears and her claim to needing a chance at a clean start. She had stretched the truth and fabricated a job history on her employment application so there wasn't a worry about her coming back at me with a Whiplash Willy or Fema-Nazi attorney.

• 1 month later...

well, this unemployment thing is becoming VERY frustrating! I filed, then got 3 packets in the mail (same day!) with questions and what not. BST says I quit, i say i was replaced. filled out all the paperwork, but due to my own stupidity i faxed them a day later than the due date! so they denied me and i am on the hook for $1000 they paid in unemployment. i immediately appealed, resending all of my documentation, as i figured if they had all the information, they would vote in my favor. the day after i faxed that packet, i got a statement that i was approved for unemployment! yay! they must have read my original packet and statement, as i dont think they operate that fast... then i got two more statements, one saying my appeal was approved, one saying my appeal was denied! what?! so today i went on down to the local worksource, the closest thing to an unemployment office (real office is in olympia on the other side of the state). talking to the helpful woman there, she couldn't figure it out either. did i appeal the decision to approve my unemployment? she called the state office and apparently BST is contesting my availability to work! i had a signed doctors note saying 2 days off. when was i available to return to work? IN TWO DAYS! so now the whole thing has been sent to the adjudicator and it will be 6 weeks before a hearing can be set. then i guess i wait for the hearing AFTER 6 weeks! in the meantime, i haven't made a dime in 3 weeks, savings cleaned out, bills due... MAN! what a day!

You have to keep applying and pushing, they will pay but you must keep after them. They always reject your claim the first time you apply hoping that you will forget about it. Meanwhile try applying for disability insurance.

Good luck

karl

well, i'm back among the working! i heard about a job on thursday and did an impromptu interview, then they called me friday to start monday! it's at a local printer, putting out auto clipper and coupon clipper type publications. pay is good, work is ok. good friday! on top of that, i "hunted" for 5 minutes and shot a doe with my bow! see my rendition in the hunting forum.

well, i'm back among the working! i heard about a job on thursday and did an impromptu interview, then they called me friday to start monday! it's at a local printer, putting out auto clipper and coupon clipper type publications. pay is good, work is ok. good friday! on top of that, i "hunted" for 5 minutes and shot a doe with my bow! see my rendition in the hunting forum.

That is good news! Congrats on the new Job and the Doe!

Tom