Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Tried To Parkerise A Mauser Action

Sailormilan2

I did some parkerising the other day redoing a Garand. I used a homemade black parkerising brew that worked well on a Garand. While I was at it, I decided to finish my beater trunk gun I was building on a Mauser '98 action. I am using a 1912-61 Steyr action that is very pitted, making it rather unsuitable for a nice blued sporter action. I thought that a nice coat of black park would look good, give lots of protection, and somewhat hide the pits.

What I got was a greyish colored receiver. With a rather strange lighter grey at the rear of the front receiver ring. All the other Mauser parts.........triggerguard, ejector box, screws, extractor, and barrel came out dark charcoal grey or black. Only thing that didn't park well was the receiver.

Stainless steel will not parkerise, but Mausers are not stainless steel. I know they are a primitive form of rust resistant steel. The case hardening/heat treating should not have affected it, as Garand receivers are very hard.........probably harder than a Mauser receiver. But, I have seen prats come out different shades depending on their hardness, but not to this extent.

Here are photos, with a photo of the Garand metal done in the same solution.

000_2128.jpg

000_2129.jpg

Garand metal

000_2119-1.jpg