Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Ammunition in the Port-O-Let

Reverend Recoil

I got a call to the camp waste water treatment plant the other day. The sewage smell was stinking up the whole camp. All of the aerator pumps had quit working. The plant operator said that the aerators started making loud whining and grinding sounds. Then there were loud popping noises with sparks flying out of them before they stopped. We pulled one of the nastier aerators out of the sewage pond and dumped it out. A pile of shredded pieces of brass fell out of the intake port. The shredded brass was 5.56mm rifle cartridges. For some unknown reason somebody dropped about one hundred rounds of 5.56mm ammunition in one of the Port-O-Lets. Some of the cartridges got past the strainer and into the aerator pump. The cartridges exploded inside the aerator when they were crushed by the impeller. The aerators are working again and signs warning against ammunition disposal have been posted on each Port-O-Let in camp.

I was not too surprised by this. I just wonder what I will have to deal with next at this place.

Reverend Recoil

Q-West, Iraq

The ammo could have fallen from some soldier's web gear as he was answering the call of nature. Perhaps he was too lazy to take the time to turn in the unused ammo to the proper storage area. It could be some kind of conspiracy. I guese we will never know.

Any experienced plumber will tell you that if it can go down the hole, eventually sombody will put down the hole. And some plumber will be paid $40/hour to get it out.