Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Vz 24

Guest Mr.mauserhowzer

Guest Mr.mauserhowzer

Im new to the forum.

Since i was a kid i wanted to sporterize a mauser.

Now i git one in trade!

It is in good shooting order.

Blueing is almost all gone.

Some pitting. Rifleing deep grooves.

Guy at the range said"dont chop it up you

Will regret it forever" hmmm

Any ideas? I need input. Thanks.

This is a sporterizing forum and to each his own, but my personal typical "line in the sand" is ...

If the numbers all match and there is no obvious damage or defacing (like crest being scrubbed or a Russian capture) and it is in good or better shape then I lean towards leaving it as-is. Condition and the type of Mauser plays a big part, too. If it has a moderately pitted barrel (exterior) or it's a Turk K.Kale it won't normally be much of a collectible piece unless it's some super rare variant.

In your case you know it is a VZ24 - not very rare (though getting harder to find). If it is in excellent shape and numbers match then consider trading or selling it to a collector if you don't want to become a collector yourself. You may be able to get enough money to buy two beat up Vz24 or Brazilian 1910 mausers to use as donor rifles. If the VZ24's numbers don't match or it's a little banged up itself then go ahead and use it for your sporter - they make a great platform to build on.

I look for really nasty ones and check out the action. If the action is good and the rest is beyond hope, I have a candidate. I also tend to be attracted to the poorly "sporterized" guns that everyone else seems ashamed to be caught looking at, as they are prime candidates for sportizing - someone else already defiled them.

Do you have any photos?

@Jeff H - that describes my outlook exactly.

I'm no collector - simply a Mauser sporter enthusiast. Every mauser that I buy is destined to be taken apart and built into a sporter. So like you in most cases I'm only looking for a good action. The barrel can be pitted and look like a sewer pipe. The wood can be dented and broken, etc. All I'm looking for is a good action. I, too, look for the previously sporterized or bubba'd rifles. Those seem to go quite a bit cheaper, at least in online auctions if not at the gun shows.

Guest Mr.MauserHowzer

@Jeff H - that describes my outlook exactly.

I'm no collector - simply a Mauser sporter enthusiast. Every mauser that I buy is destined to be taken apart and built into a sporter. So like you in most cases I'm only looking for a good action. The barrel can be pitted and look like a sewer pipe. The wood can be dented and broken, etc. All I'm looking for is a good action. I, too, look for the previously sporterized or bubba'd rifles. Those seem to go quite a bit cheaper, at least in online auctions if not at the gun shows.

Im thinking: hogue stock, timney trigger, low power scope, barrel cut to 18". Any thoughts?

Guest Mr.MauserHowzer

Im thinking: hogue stock, timney trigger, low power scope, barrel cut to 18". Any thoughts?

Ps the bolt does not have same # as receiver and stock. This means "not matching" correct?

Ps the bolt does not have same # as receiver and stock. This means "not matching" correct?

Yup - "non matching". Go ahead and have at it then. The sporterizing Gods and the collecting Gods will both approve :)

Hogue stock, Timney trigger are both great in my book.

I'm not too hip on the shorter barrels, but it all depends on what you want to do with it - and it's yours so do with it what you want. I've never owned anything in the 18" range - I bet it would make a handy little rifle. With the short barrel and synthetic stock that old 8mm mauser might have a little kick to it :)

Guest Mr.MauserHowzer

Yup - "non matching". Go ahead and have at it then. The sporterizing Gods and the collecting Gods will both approve :)

Hogue stock, Timney trigger are both great in my book.

I'm not too hip on the shorter barrels, but it all depends on what you want to do with it - and it's yours so do with it what you want. I've never owned anything in the 18" range - I bet it would make a handy little rifle. With the short barrel and synthetic stock that old 8mm mauser might have a little kick to it :)

Yup, gonna do it. Reasoning for short barrell is thick brush hunting here in Oregon and easement in and out of a jeep.

Yup, gonna do it. Reasoning for short barrell is thick brush hunting here in Oregon and easement in and out of a jeep.

Whoooa, not so fast,..... one other requirement.

You have to have a camera and be able to post pics of the build, otherwise, you have to leave it original.

Not really, but it's always fun to share the experience and you'll make a lot of friends that way. :D