Military Firearm Restoration Corner

6.5X55 Build

Brenden

Good morning gentlemen. I've about finished the gun build for my dad, the 6.5x55. A while back, I finish reamed the gun and it closed fine on a go gauge, and didn't budge on the no go. Factory shells are tight in the chamber, some tighter than others as you can see where the shoulder hits.(Wolf ammo). Shells sized with RCBS dies have to have the die set all the way to almost the last thread before they will chamber normally. Extractor dragging is out of the question, and fired rounds appear to be fine except for what looks to me like a deeper firing pin stirk on the primer (almost looks cratered)Found a rough spot on the friring pin and lightly stoned it, but havn't shot it yet. This is my question,

Is there any dangers of my chamber being tight like this, such as increased pressure etc?

Because of the chamber being tight, is my brass going to be worked so much that brass life will be short? (should I neck em?)

My load was 39.5 grains of IMR 4320, with a 120 serria seated to 3.000 with Winchester primers. I'm well under max at this load, most likely will take it to 40 grains if pressure and accuracy premit and stop.

What are your all's thoughts on tight chambers? Pro's and Con's?..

Thanks,

Brenden

What does "tight in the chamber" mean?

I wouldn't take Wolf ammunition as a "standard" for anything. It shoots and is cheap. Might be a little "hot" or out of chamber spec. If you can get it to work in your rifle or pistol, great. Different folks have had varying results with it.

If you strip the bolt and run the rounds into the chamber WITHOUT the firing pin assembly, are you having to push the bolt handle down hard on factory stuff? And by factory stuff, I'm talking Winchester, Remington, Federal, or Norma. Those should chamber smoothly with NO resistance.

When I reload, I re-size the case so a stripped bolt will lightly kiss the cartridge during chambering. I don't have have to put any significant pressure on the bolt handle; I can still feel the case shoulder contacting the chamber shoulder. This ensures positive head spacing and will limit case stretching during firing, improving case life.

Are you actually "bumping" the shell holder against the bottom of the resizing die to get it to re-size? As long as you aren't, you should be OK.

For a handloader, a tight or loose chamber (omitting locking lug setback) isn't significant. As long as you can adjust your reloading die to chamber the round, you're home. I couldn't tell you whether factory stuff chambers in my rifles; I only shoot reloads. I'm guessing it does, as I use virgin factory brass and it chambers fine.

One comment on 6.5X55 brass... I have some Yugo made stuff (Hansen Cartridge Company, for those who remember). Wonderful, well-made, consistent brass. Produces accuracy with open sights in my Swede that most folks would call me a liar for even mentioning. When I measure the base of the brass, it's 0.479". When I look at the factory chamber specs for the 6.5X55, it lists the base as 0.479". What I'm indicating is that the case is FULLY supported in the chamber. That isn't so with any of my other cartridges. My '06 brass usually mics 0.465" or so, but the spec for the base is 0.470". '96 Swedes are noted for accuracy... Could this be a factor?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Gun nutty- All I have on hand is Wolf but it did chamber with less resistance with just a bare bolt. I just bought it because it was cheap and I could re-use the brass. My reloads chamber fine now that I set the die to match the chamber. Its kind of like my J.C Higgins 30-06, it acts like it has a minimum chamber and the shoulder has to be set back ever so slightly more (like a small base die does)

I believe I'm ok with this, I just get a bit nervous/worry sometimes because I built this gun for my dad. I don't really care what happens to me (piss poor way to look at it) but my old man is going to be the one pulling the trigger. My case length matches my chamber as well, they dont even "grow" upon firing, only growing when its shoved into a FL die. I may go to neck sizing as I've started to become partial to this practice.

Gun nutty, I've never really thought of your comment on rim dia. but you may be on to something.

Wiley, thank you for your reply.

Brenden

Sorry for posting this here, should have went into the reloading section as this is turning into more of a reloading post.

Edited by Brenden

I said "base", not rim.

The base is the non-expanding portion of the case just forward of the rim. Well, it shouldn't expand; if you're getting expansion, you're putting too much powder in the case!

The only issue with a "custom" chamber is if you ever plan on selling the rifle; you need to plan for an inexperienced buyer.

If the Wolf ammo is brass, boxer-primed and clean, you have a winner! It is now fire-formed to your chamber and ready for fun.