Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Two New Projects

brottenberger

Hi guys, ran across this forum by accident. I'd like to share my current projects. The gunsmithing for both guns was done by Mike Muscat (Underground Guns) in Newburg Ny. #1 is a m96 in 6.5x55, original barrel, new bolt handle, scope mounted. #2 is a m98 in .30-06, new Adams and Bennet barrel with muzzle brake, new bolt handle, scope mounted, and timney safety. Both guns have a duracoat finish 75% colt grey, 25% german flectarn gray. I'm currently inletting Brownell's stocks in preparation for glass bed. As Mausers have had pillars for over 100 years, I'll reuse the original pillars. Both will get new triggers soon. What do you think?

post-5841-128898008175_thumb.jpg

post-5841-12889800916_thumb.jpg

Those are nice basic usable calibers that you chose, and you will enjoy them. I don't have the patience to fully inlet stocks, but I do tune my stocks by floating the barrel and glass bedding the action.

I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes on '06 based cases, because of the redirected blast, but to each their own.

It would be great if you could post pictures after you complete your rifles.

Spiris