Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Shipping Law

FC

Fellas, have a question. I don't have a C&R license anymore. I sold a K-31 to a guy. He is having me ship it to an 01 FFL. I can go to the Post Office and mail this, right? I don't have to send through an FFL here to an FFL there?

Thanks.

STOP>>>>>

Here in Cali everything MUST go through a FFL .C & R..PVT. sales...gifts...anything .

As the mails are federal, I would check with the local ATF or call the Post office.

The FFL on the other end WILL call the ATF and report you if anything is out of order.

karl

Karl, I am not sure that is correct. I believe the law applies to dealers selling to California. Not necssarily weapons leaving CA. Normally, if the dealer has sent you a copy of his FFL you can then ship direct to the dealer as long as the dealer accepts from a private party. Some will not, but that is personal discretion. If the buying FFL has sent you a copy of their FFL, make a copy for your self/records, include a copy of the FFL inside the package if it gets opened for any reason.

Actually, -03 FFL(C&R collectors do not have to go through that procedure of getting a number from the DOJ here. All that mumbo jumbo is for FFL dealers. -03s are not dealers, they are collectors and that rule does not apply.

Thanks sir.

You may well be right.

But I would rather double check with the Post Office..better safe than sorry.

take care

Karl

problem is, the guy behind the desk at the post office might not know his butt from a hole in the ground. were it me, i'd contact the buyers ffl and ask if they accept from private citizens. if he says, 'sure', send the gun marked machined parts.

"gun marked machined parts. "

That had occured to me as well, but FC is on active duty and I dont like to fool with the UCMJ.

I am not sure what, if anything, they could get him on, but recall just who is in power right now.

Nope, better to check with the ATF and the Post Master.

karl

Tony,

You as a non-ffl can mail a long gun to a FFL.

You may not mail it to another non-ffl.

No one may mail a handgun.

OR

You as a non-ffl can mail a long gun to yourself.

Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (2005)

In the q&a section, item B9

"May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity.

The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

Ken is right BUT FC, You are NOT shipping to yourself but to a fella you are selling the rifle to.

A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity.

As I read it, this does NOT cover a sale to another person.

Guys I’m not an FFL and certainly not an expert. I’m chiming in on this conversation because I don’t want anyone to get in to trouble.

I thought long gun transfers through the mail had to go from FFL to FFL.

I have heard of being able to mail yourself your own gun but I also know the post office people won’t allow it some cases because they don’t have a clue about the law.

Personally I would have an FFL send it even if it’s not necessary to just to add an extra layer of protection to the transfer.

If I remember it correctly the guy on the other end/purchaser has to meet the NICS background requirements or he can’t have the gun.

If you send it through an FFL dealer then that dealer can send it back to your dealer if the guy fails the NICS.

If you send it to an FFL dealer by yourself and there is a problem then you either lose your gun or must find another FFL to get your gun back. (Guns in limbo are bad)

Just a thought

Tony,

You as a non-ffl can mail a long gun to a FFL.

You may not mail it to another non-ffl.

No one may mail a handgun.

If you're going to mail this item to a FFL, I frequently use Insured Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation.