Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Installing A Tactial Bolt Knob On A Mauser Bolt.

Sailormilan2

I have had a target/sniper style rifle built on a Yugo Mauser action with a Parker Hale target barrel for some time. The bolt handle was forged, and was about 2.5" long. Which I felt was a bit short. So, I decide to lengthen it and install a tactical style knob.

000_2037.jpg

I got a tactical weld on handle threaded for a screw on bolt knob and the knob from PTG(Pacific Tool and Gauge). The handle is actually for a Remington 700, but I thought I could modify it to make it fit. After trimming everthing off I thought I would need to trim to make it fit right, the length would not be much longer than what I already had.

000_2225.jpg

Once I got it, I wasn't sure I liked how much I would have to take off and the styling. So, I decided to modify the bolt handle that was already on the Mauser. The orignal bolt handle with knob was 2.5" long, and the knob is about .8" in diameter. The tactical knob is 1.324" long, and threaded inside to a depth of about .5", though the PTG handle is only threaded to .4".

I took a cut off grinder, and using the side of the cut off blade started cutting/grinding the sides, top and bottom of the ball until I had it roughly square. Then I ground down the corners till I had an 8 sided shape. From there I rocked the cutoff grinder back and forth getting a roughly shaped cylinder. I tried to maintain the same angle as the handle shaft.

000_2235.jpg

Once I was close to the right shape and size, I used sandpaper to smooth things up. That is what I had, and I didn't want to go to the hardware store and get some emory cloth.

I started with 100 grit, and worked my way to 600 grit. I used strips about 1" to 1.5" wide, and worked in a back and forth action like I was shoe shinning.

I kept moving around the handle so I could round it out.

000_2220.jpg

Once that was done, I had to locate a 5/16 x 24 tpi die, to thread the handle. Once I got it threaded, I screwed on the knob. Overall length is now 3.55". Roughly a 40% increase in length, and corresponding reduction in lift forces due to increased leverage.

Here are before and after photos:

000_2231.jpg

000_2229.jpg

000_2233.jpg

Now I have to refinish the handle and whole gun. I am going to park it with Black park. Once that is done, I will loctite the knob on.

I have a very similar rifle that I finished recently (well, at least enough to take to the range). I'm using a forged bolt, too, and was thinking that a longer tactical style handle would look and perform great. Thanks for posting your experience - can't wait to try myself.