Military Firearm Restoration Corner

A challenge for ya'll

Guest MorgansBoss

Guest MorgansBoss

After giving some thought to the recent discussions about new folks coming to the board and what they're likely to find after the loss of so much info from the old site, I'd like to issue a challenge to every regular member. That is for each and every one of you to post something useful to this hobby, at least one item, under the tech catagory. I know everybody here has some little trick, tip, cache of info, favorite method or part, etc... that woould be interesting and useful to share. I've taken the first shot and posted a list of SAAMI pressure limits in "Tricks."

Come on folks, lets rebuild that archive!

We need newbs, too.

In the past, the dynamic would work something like this: A newb would ask a question, many would answer, and z1r would come up with the definitive answer.

Or MorgansBoss, or Tye, or any number of members.

I can remember one Winter Friday night watching z1r and MorgansBoss hash out some disagreement: Both eminently experienced and articulate, but with varying opinions.

What a pleasure. What a learning experience.

And it wasn't politics.

I do have one positive suggestion: There are just a few posts that could be moved to the archives, including Bill Soverns' stock finishing method.

Some foresighted person saved this.

As it is, any newb would wonder what the h*ll the archive section is all about. Since most of the topics are naked.

Yes, I can be as provocative as the next guy. But I'd much prefer to read stuff in the gun sections, even if it's something I've read a zillion times before.

And there is no pleasure quite like watching the newbs learn, and finish their first project.

flaco

Note to Newbies: Before the crash, this site was so rich with material that for the most part, topics--"Restoration," or "Sporterizing" say--would go to 20 pages. Think of it. Twenty pages.

And after they made the 20 page mark, posts would be evaluated for the "Archives."

What a loss.

I would offer something in the way of useful information, if only I had some.

I just cleaned up a very nasty Turkish Mauser with baby powder and a curling iron.

Do you people really think anyone is interested in THAT?

All I am good for is reading archives, stealing ideas, using them and not giving credit where it's due.

I have evolved just enough past being a complete newbie to where I don't have to ask questions, I know the information that I want to extract from y'all.

But if you insist on advancing this challenge, I guess I can tell you all how to clean a gun with baby powder and a curling iron...it's just not for the squeamish!

Of course, I am kidding...except for the part about lacking any useful information, in that regard, I will shamelessly rip off an Oscar Wilde quote, ostensibly stated as he visited the United States and was going through customs:

"I have nothing to declare except my genius.".

And THAT is all I can truly offer to you all here, and I am even kidding about that! LOL!

I sir, have excepted that challange and posted a few things that are at least gun related. Hope that others will do the same and soon we will all have new things to look over and maybe jog our own projects. This is definately what we need to be doing at this point. It will certainly get a bit more traffic going here on the site again. Of course, I still will be frequenting the Cud and Fighting areas. swamp thing

Guest MorgansBoss

Emul8

THAT is precisely the sort of stuff I'd hope to see!!!!!!!!

Unconventional methods that work. The sort of stuff you can't find anywhere else! THAT is what makes this sort of place so valuable. Anyone can buy a book and find the normal, accepted practices and procedures. What makes this place great is the exchange of new, innovative ideas and methods! This site is the sort of exchange you have when two smiths (or tinkerers) get together at someones shop. We have the luxury of dozens of such people brainstorming and sharing advise and tips.

PLEASE DO tell us how you clean-up a mil-surp with baby powder and a curling iron!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I aught to have a couple finished products I can post in "Sporterizing" soon. My problem is now as it's always been - time, and how busy I can get doing everything but what I want to do. But I'll try and get something up online soon; something that will include some pictures and stuff.

Also, I've held off making some posts as I sometimes feel I'm making noise rather than helping. And since I hate it when people do that, I sometimes restrain myself.

It may be time for a good gunsmithing or caliber debate. Hmmm.... rolleyes.gif