Military Firearm Restoration Corner

8Mm-06

Brenden

Here is a Turk that I am working on. Its going to be a 8mm-06. May get around to reaming it tomorrow. Nothing fancy, just a truck gun. Cut the barrel to 26", and am going to re crown it. I will use the military stock; there is much more work that needs to be completed such as forend tip, recoil pad, and that darn hole in the butt. A good bit of wood has been taken off and shaped a little, but needs more. I just wanted to do a 50's kind of style mauser.

Brenden

DSC02109.jpg

DSC02110.jpg

The bases and rings are Leupold, with the rings being mediums. I just use the FN style bases with a reversible front. It gives me better scope position and lets me fit the scope a touch farther back or forward depending on how you look at it. I don't think you could use the military stock safety with this set up, although I've never tried it. I just put a timmey safety on it, but soon I hope to be making some 2 position safeties to place on my guns. The scope is a 2x7 pine ridge; it’s just on there for aesthetic appeal.

Bases and rings were ordered through Midwayusa.com. I think they may be out of the bases for now, but Brownells may have them. I just ordered a PTG muzzle crowing tool tonight, as well as a block of ebony and a recoil pad, so I should have this one finished in a couple weeks or so.

Brenden

Nice job on the bolt handle. It looks like it will be easy to grab with the palm of your hand when you go to work the bolt. Did the Turk give you any problems with regard to welding the bolt handle?

Thanks Ron. I like that style bolt handle for working the bolt; sometimes I miss so it makes for a quick follow up. To be honest, That turk was the easiest bolt I have welded. I chased a few pits here and there but I stick weld with a Lincoln 220 with 1/32 6013 rods, sometimes I goof up. The bolt handle is a hollands tatical I believe. I just recieced my muzzle crowing tool, ebony and recoil pad so hopefully this weekend I will be closer. I've still got a little bit of metal to remove from the chamber but I am closer than I was. Is it just me or does reaming a 8mm mauser chamber to 8mm-06 take forever? Wish I had a lathe. :(

Brenden