Military Firearm Restoration Corner

S&W's

TLynn

First up we have a nice little .357 mag w/a 4" barrel. My friend Ron lent it to me for awhile and after dickering with him for about 3 months we settled on a price. I thought he'd never sell it to me. I think it's had oh 100 or so rounds put through it. Not sure what year it was made in but it's a Model 28-2 and a N frame. Nice gun and in really good shape (probably either early 80's or mid to late 70's most likely).

user posted image

He hated it anyway so it was a good buy for me. It's still not the S&W .38 special I'm hunting for (no I can't remember the particulars except it's a 6" barrel and was most likely made somewhere in the 50's or 60's) but it'll do for now. The grips however, are close. I think however, the .38 had K grips and not N grips. Still not a bad little .357 if I do say so myself.

Next up is by far my favorite for looks (not sure whether I'd actually want to take it out and shoot it just yet) is a .41 mag w/4" barrel. Again I got this from Ron. This one came with the presentation box but unfortunately all the plastic or whatever inside the box is falling apart so I need to address that. This gun however is NIB and has never been fired. The original grips were missing when I purchased it but Ron while scrounging in one of his storage units came across 2 sets of S&W grips and turned them both over to me. One set happened to be the correct set for this particular gun and I immediately put them on it. A special thanks to Tye for informing me I needed to go on a hunt for the grips.

It's a very nice Model 57 from 1980 according to the serial number - beautiful blueing and just a minor little scratch on the cylinder (sigh).

user posted image

All told the two guns together cost me just a little over $700. I don't think I did too bad. Besides I'd of paid more just because I like S&W's (provided they are old). wub.gif

TLynn --

Your S&Ws are great looking! I would be envious if I didn't so admire your "horse trading" skills! Given the age and condition of these revolvers, it seems that your $700.00 deal, really was a good one!

Congratulations on your wonderful acquisitions!

$700.00 for the two is close to a steal!! The diamond grips on the Model 28 should add apx $100 to the value. You might consider running the model #'s numbers on the S&W group to find out the apx date they were made. I've been searching for the 4" S&W 41 mag without the adjustable sights for several years. 6" S&W 38's are somewhat scarce, not rare, so keep looking. www.jgsales was selling and hopefully still lowballing surplus Europe police S&W 38's, don't recall if they had a 6" but it might be worth checking out their site. I picked up two of the odball pin barrel 3" barrels. I'll look and see if I still have the pic in my file and post it.

user posted image

These are my S&W 38's The two on the left are the 3" barrel model 10's I got at J&G. They both have replacement wood grips I scrounged as the rubber grips that came with them were pretty chezzy. The third one I got in the late 80's and it remains unfired. The fourth a model 15 is surplus from the Navajo police dept. I have another 4" model 10 I loaned my son a few years ago.

Not sure what year it was made in but it's a Model 28-2 and a N frame. Nice gun and in really good shape (probably either early 80's or mid to late 70's most likely).

5100[/snapback]

I love those Highway Patrolman's.

A pinned & recessed 3-screw 28-2 would be mfg'd between '69 and '83, I think.

The 38 you're looking for might be the K-38 Masterpiece.

I've got an old 4-screw K-38 with factory engraving.

I've been wanting to send the info in to Roy Jinks to get some history on it, but I keep forgetting.

You're correct, most of the .38 Specials were built on the K-Frame.

Most .357's are on the N-Frame (earlier guns) or the L-Frame.

Have fun collecting those Smiths.

I checked on the M28, it was made in 1966. So the .357 is 10 years younger than me.

The .41 mag was made in 1980.

Both nice guns...I like them.

I don't think I'll get lucky enough to pick up the .38 I want so I'm not going to try too hard. It was a nice gun till it got stolen. I can wish for it again but I have a feeling it just wouldn't be the same. I've got these and I like them a lot.

so I'm not going to try too hard

5726[/snapback]

That is pretty much the attitude I've adopted for the search for the M58. The few I've come across were priced on the high side of ridiculas. I do however recall coming across 6" S&W's in 38 spec. The 38/44's are pricey but the others like the M&P's I've seen, best I recall were not out of line price wise. Chances are good if you find a 6 inch it wont be police surplus.

There was the Guns of Police segemnt on the Tales of the Gun History Channel show last night. I was surprised to see one 6 inch S&W in the hands of a cop, my guess is it isn't common as most opted for the 4 inch barrel. My X-wife was a cop in the late 80's, still in the revolver era. She had a rare round butt pre-27 357 with a 4 5/8 barrel. She was stopped from carrying it because the barrel exceeded the Phoenix PD's 4 inch specs.