Military Firearm Restoration Corner

stock making screws...

montea6b

I'm in the final stages of apprenticeship project #1, but already accumulating parts for my next try. My lessons in trying to make do without a checkering cradle have lead me to seek out stockmaking screws for my next inletting job. I have seen two types, and was wondering if I need both to do a proper job.

Type 1. "Inletting guide screws". These are the headless ones that screw into the receiver allowing it to slide into the stock and triggerguard holes from the top which gives you quick and easy alignment for 'in and out' test fitting.

Type 2. "Stockmakers screws". These are the T-handled ones that go into the receiver from the bottom and allow for quick tightening without tools.

Is type 1 typically used early on, then switched to type 2 for cinching things down and final fitting? Anybody have preferences or techniques as to when it is most benificial to use each type? Should I get both, or can I get by with one or the other? (I can "get by" with neither, but would prefer to do it right this time...)

Just wondering what others do.

Type 1 is used to establish the relationship between the bottom metal & receiver. You inlet the bottom metal first, then the receiver and the screws keep them properly aligned.

Type 2 is used to complete the barreled action inletting process where you need to repeatedly snug things up. keeps you from buggering up the real screw and or slipping and marring your bottom metal or stock.

Type 1 can be used for much of the initial inletting process then switch to type 2 as things are near final.

I'm in the final stages of apprenticeship project #1, but already accumulating parts for my next try.  My lessons in trying to make do without a checkering cradle have lead me to seek out stockmaking screws for my next inletting job.  I have seen two types, and was wondering if I need both to do a proper job.

Type 1.  "Inletting guide screws".  These are the headless ones that screw into the receiver allowing it to slide into the stock and triggerguard holes from the top which gives you quick and easy alignment for 'in and out' test fitting.

Type 2.  "Stockmakers screws".  These are the T-handled ones that go into the receiver from the bottom and allow for quick tightening without tools.

Is type 1 typically used early on, then switched to type 2 for cinching things down and final fitting?  Anybody have preferences or techniques as to when it is most benificial to use each type?  Should I get both, or can I get by with one or the other?  (I can "get by" with neither, but would prefer to do it right this time...)

Just wondering what others do.

5102[/snapback]

As Zlr indicated, you really need both to do an inletting job. You can make them yourself, with a modicum of work. The guide screws are quite easy to make with a die nut. If you work on Mauser actions a lot, a die nut and tap for the action threads are handy things to have around the shop. For a one shot deal, though, I'd just buy them.