Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Decision Time

Sailormilan2

I managed to stumble into a used(50 rds fired through it) A&B 257 Roberts barrel, F34 contour. I was going to build a rifle for my GF(ex GF now) on a small ring 98 action that I have. Turn the barrel down to a profile similar to a Win 70 Featherweight barrel. But, after the recent events of 3 weeks ago(http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=8921), I am giving serious thought to building up a 25-06 on a spare Columbian Steyr made 98 action I have. I have a nice, if very dark, English Walnut Richards stock in Modern Classic style that needs a barreled action in it. It is an easy job to convert a 257 Roberts barrel to 25-06 by just running a reamer into it.

If I do this, I have less work to do than on the small ring 98. I will get the metal done in a very dark, almost black, bluing. I've had 25-06s before, but I was never happy with their accuracy. Those thin commercial Mauser barrels aren't conducive to accurate shooting. I prefer the A&B barrels, and have had good luck with those I have gotten.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. :lol:

Nothing to apologize for with a 25'06. The ones I've seen were quite accurate, at least with 120 grainers. Despite its lack of a belt, it is in every way a "magnum" cartridge, requiring a selection of the slowest powders. I think in many ways it tends to be underrated. Compare it to a .264 Win Magnum with 120 grain or a .270 Win with 130 grain bullets; that long 120 grain .258 bullet is a rocket with some punch.

You will want every bit of barrel you can get away with. I'm a big fan of 20"-22" barrels; with the 25'06, I'd target 24"-26" to wreak every bit of velocity out of that case.

Yes on a 25-06. It is a sweet shooting cartridge. I have an early 1960's Remington 700 in 25-06. Like gun nutty said use a slow burning powder with the 120 grainers. My original loading were with H870 until it was discontinued. I now use Rutombo. My loading is 3150 fps and .65" @100 yards.

Keep us informed. One of my next projects will be a 280 Remington featherweight.

Ralph

A 25-06 is one of the best rounds that ever was (right next to a 7mm STW).

Go a "magnum" savage contour at about 26". You won't be sorry when that 120 grainer comes out above 3k.

Brenden