Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Strange Visit.

karlunity

Strange visit.

Fella across the street liked to have very long and loud parties, the hippy called the cops..well now, a new fella moved in and his sons were playing the drums all night so we called on him..cops came and all was peace.

Well, tonight, my bell rings and as I am going to the door, I get a loud knock on my front window.

Seems the first fella was annoyed that we call the cops when he wants to party.

Did not want to come in..or even have me open my gate.

said we were holding down 5 or six families ..not very friendly of us.

As he was carrying a little girl I was very polite.

I said that loud parties made it impossible to sit in my own front room.

That the loud music was against the law..if you can hear it more than 50 feet away it is disturbing the peace....he said he knew that but also said bad things can happen to people who hold others down.

Only one to the deal with that..I opened the gate stepped up to him..and asked if that were a threat?..said if it was, I knew how to answer it...

He said no..no ..that I was just not very social and left, Gad..I am glad we are moving

Young fella with the drums was there too but more polite, said he was sorry for any problem, gave me his phone # and asked me to call if he got to loud..a polite and reasonable young fella.

Karl

Hello FC.

Only one way to handle something like that...open the gate..walk up to the man and make it very plain that you are not to be intimidated. I grew up in Brooklyn and found that a direct approach in these matters is best.

It is mostly a nice family..peaceful neighborhood and we aim to keep it that way.

Karl

Hey Karl

I don't think he would ever do anything. He came over with a child and hid behind her. Cowards like this will make threats put rarely would ever get up the guts to act on them. I would be more concerned if he had come over alone and entered your yard uninvited to speak his mind. I think you did the right thing by stepping up to his challenge. Either way you will be moved soon and they will be someone else s problem.

Ralph

A few years back I was dealing with loud parties every weekend for several weekends in a row. I knocked on the neighbor's door about 8:00AM on Sunday morning. Told him nothing wrong with an occasional party but I can't tolerate the loud noise every Saturday night. The young guy that answered the door was apologetic and offered to cooperate in the future. As I walked away from the door. Don't know if it was the guy I just spoke with or one of his roommates, said something about the fogies being pissed because they were not invited.

Wasn't me but one of the neighbors called the cops at the next party. The young guys were out around 1:00AM picking up beer cans strewn all over the street and a citation was issued for the noise. One of the party animals was leaving just as cops arrived and got nailed for DUI. He was doing a high speed wheelie on his motorcycle as the cops came around the corner. I was told the cops were not letting anybody drive. The party go-ers either walked or waited for a cab or ride.

Guess I had become accustomed to the noise. I was asleep and missed seeing the cops and the excitement. There were a few parties afterward but at 10:00PM sharp the music stopped. No more pot or pipe smokers in the front yard and no squealing tires when it broke up. By morning there wasn't any beer cans, trash or even a cigarette butt in the street.

Well done Karl. You did what was best, you were polite. Just be careful Sir. I know the feeling well when somebody threatens you, all you want to do is stomp them into the ground. You handled yourself well; I would have flipped out if a man said something like that to me. We live out in the country; it's 30 minutes to the nearest police department. By the time they get here, nobody has a clue to why neighbor x is sitting up in the driveway holding his head.

Growing up in Brooklyn, I’m sure that was quite the experience.

Brenden

Thanks sirs.

Careful..fellas..I am down right paranoid.

Between Brooklyn..and going to school in the Bronx, The Nam and 25 years in seventh grade...I keep both eyes open.

Still there are many good folk still living here..a colored older lady came by walking as I was cleaning the garage and said that she was sorry to see us leave..asked THE Lord to bless us in our new home.

Like any place else..some good some ya could do without.

Karl