Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Starter Went Out In My Yukon

Sailormilan2

Starter has been out for a week. So this morning, while it was still cool, I crawled under my Yukon and pulled it off. Took it to AutoZone for testing. Starter works fine, but the solenoid is not working.

So I call Evens Auto Electric here in Bakersfield, and ask the guy who answered the phone for a Bendix unit for my starter and the conversation goes down hill from there.

Me: "I need a Bendix unit for my starter. A Bendix unit or starter solenoid."

Him: (Pause)"There is no such thing as a Bendix unit."

Me: "Okay, sorry, that is what I have always heard it called. Then I need a starter solenoid."

Him: (Big sigh) "Do you need the drive unit or the solenoid?"

Hmmmm, I thought I said "solenoid".

Me: "I need a solenoid."

Him: big pause. "Well, what kind of vehicle is it for?"

Me: "1999 GMC Yukon, 5.7."

Him: (Long silence. I assume he is looking it up) "There are 3 different ones for your vehicle."

Me: "Ok. How do I tell which one I need?"

Him: "You'll just have to bring it in."

Me: "Ok. Thanks."

I get on my computor, go to RockAuto.com(I look up all my parts there for a price check). They show one style solenoid for my car, with 3 mounting holes. Just like mine. hmmmmmmm $39.97 + S&H

I go to Ebay. I find several dozen solenoids, almost all with 2 mounting screw holes. Mine has 3. Look some more. Find one. Cross reference on the page shows that it works for the same starter as mine(I found the reference number vibroetched into the side of the starter).

Price was $29.97(new) and free shipping. Sold! On the way.

I would rather have gotten one locally, but with that kind of service I decided I didn't need to go there. Apparently he couldn't tell me that there was a number on the side of the starter to cross reference. None of the local parts houses carry solenoids(Bendix).

Now, I just have to find a small, splined(torx style) socket to remove the 3 mounting screws. Something around a 3/16".

Well, I have my Honda ST1300. I can handle it for a while longer.

I always thought the Bendix was the actual drive gear/clutch arrangement that gets pushed into mesh with the flywheel ring gear. The solenoid is the electromagnet/switch thing which pushes the Bendix out and switches the power to the starter motor. I ain't a professional mechanic, but that's how I always looked at it.

It is hard dealing with the counter help sometimes. I am usually looking for something weird, like plug wires for a JDM 4AGE 20 valve motor (never imported to the US), or Lotus parts. "What year/model is it?" "It isn't in your computer." The smarter ones just get out of my way.

Saliormilan2; I feel your pain when it comes to dealing with counter people with IQ’s below room temperature.

SO… I took to rebuilding a lot of my own stuff, mostly MT 30&35 starters and 10&12SI GM alternators, mostly one wire set-ups. I keep parts around to rebuild my own stuff.

Most starter drives are either Bendix type or sprag type. Most GM Solenoids are either short, long, two or three bolt versions.

I get my parts straight from a company that sells to the rebuilders. Shipping is fast and the price is the same as the rebuilders.

The company’s name is National Automotive Lines Inc.

Their website is www.natauto.com

Their phone number is 1-800-428-4300

I would like to urge you and everyone to call for a catalog.

However their catalog only contains a fraction of what they sell.

If you need parts for something not listed in their catalog call them. If the person answering the phone is unable to help ask for Morris, he’s the owner. He knows more about rebuilding parts for alternators and starters than anyone I know.

Now this is actually a big outfit and not just an auto parts store they sell nation wide plus globally so Morris who’s in his late 70’s can’t always come to the phone right away but if a problem cant be handled by his people he can take care of you.

(Normally his people can handle 99% of any question you have)

To give you an idea of the price on some of the parts brush sets for GM alternators are from $0.91- $2.40

I buy a rebuilt starter solenoid for my tractors that sells at the local NAPA dealer for $54 for $16.95 from National Automotive and the kicker is they’re quality parts. They have to be because it’s the same parts the rebuilders use.

Hope this helps.

Working in auto parts stores in my hippy days from about 68-71. There was always confusion with names of parts. Starter drives got nick named Bendix because Bendix corp patented and manufactured it for all the biggies(GM, Ford Mopor etc) When a mechanic or walk-in customer purchased a replacement it came in a box with a Bendix logo. Stoplight switches, the old type that screwed into a master cylinder for years were called Wagners, Wagner switch or Wagner button for the same reason. Often there were communication problems because of the name of the part the customer used especially over the phone. In the store we could show them an example.

If possible when ever you need a part, bring the old part with. Some are going to call it a solenoid others will refer to it as a starter rely. Both terms are correct.

Questions on starters often irritated walk in or do it yourself customers. A simple question like "automatic or std transmission" would piss the customer off. Starters for both trannys will look identical on the outside but inside the starter drive will often be different. A good example were the older Buicks, Olds and Pontiac. A high compression engine would use a stronger more costly starter. If we asked the customer if they had the high or standard compression engine they usually didn't know. In most cases an engine with a 4 barrel carb would be the high compression engine. So when we asked is it 2 or 4 barrel carb. Occasionally the response was "I want a starter not a Carburetor". After we explained the reason we asked most customers would cooperate and didn't mind what seemed like unrelated questions. If the customer was a smart ass and responded with "they're all the same" or refused to cooperate. He usually walked out with a starter that would fit but was rated and priced accordingly for a Caddy. We could also go the opposite direction as well if the customer was a serious jerk-off. Send him out the door with a starter for a Chevy 2, 4 cyl engine that would keep a high compression engine turning over long enough until the warranty expired.

Manufactures make mid-year changes and build (or used to) same model car in different factories. Factory A might use rear brake shoes that were 2.5 inches wide but factory B used brake shoes only 2 inches wide left over from the previous year for the first 10,00 units except models with posi-traction that used an 11 inch rear drum instead of 10 inch. Mid-year, factory B converts to 2.5 inch sent to them from factory A.

Other fictional possibilies. Factory A in Detroit uses York A/C compressors with a 6 inch pulley but factory B in Canada used Tecumseh brand compressors with a 4.5 inch pulley on cars without power steering with a high ratio differential or overdrive and 5.0 on everything else. York might have a 1/2 inch shaft but Tecumseh has a 7/16. Customer wants an A/C cluth assy, chances are very slim if he knows if York or Tecumseh made the compressor. When a customer walked in wanting an A/C belt occasionally they became irritated if we asked what seems like unrelated questions. "Does it have overdrive, power steering, 14 or 15 inch tires"? If they had the belt with them. We'd pull all possibilities off the rack and measure them up. If they didn't have the old part all we could do was guess.

I noticed the "solenoid" and "relay" part last night. I was surfing on Rock Auto, looking at parts, when I got the Electrical Switch/Relay part, and there under "Relay" was a starter solenoid. 2 Screw, for a Yukon. Going up to Electrical parts, there was a seperate listing for Starter Solenoid, and that picture was of the solenoid that I need.

I might not have been so peeved, if the guy had taken the time to say that there should have been an ID number on the case which we could cross reference, and to call back when I found it. I would have understood that and would have been more than willing to comply.

I know that when I order, or get, brake shoes, I have to check to see which ones I have, as there are two - three different sizes for mine. Part of the trouble is that I have a tow package on mine, which might mean heavier brakes.

Part of the trouble is that I have a tow package on mine, which might mean heavier brakes.

Heavy duty options like a tow package always caused problems trying to find the correct part. Easy for you because you're aware of it. The person that owns your truck 10 years from wont have the foggiest idea. It could be something simple like brake shoe width or more complicated like a shock absorber mounting on a 1/2 bolt instead of 3/8. Locating parts has to be much easier these days with computers. Back in the late 60's we had to work out of numerous books, catalogs, cross over guides etc.

Solenoid showed up in the mail Saturday. I had it on that starter and the starter back on the Yukon by 8:30 Sunday morning. It took me a bit longer than I expected as I kept trying to install the heat shield when the starter was inplace on the vehicle. I had to take the starter off to intall the heat shield. Once that was done, no problems.

it could be worse, you could be trying to find land rover parts.

napa & advance auto are actually stating to carry more parts for them now.

a few months ago i had advance auto ship me 4 tie rod ends and out of the four they actually got one right.