Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Got Some Good News

karlunity

Now that I am retired I have to buy my own health insurance.

I don't think that I need it, but the Hippy worries.

Anyway the lady at the insurance office advised me to try the VA for health care.

I filled out the form and went down..as soon as they read the DD 214..vietnam.

The lady at the desk said I was in.

That saves 3 or 4 hundred per month.

Karl

3-400 per month should cover a gun buying addiction quite well. All you need to do now is find a dealer that takes layaways.

The Hippie, as usual is right!! Health insurance saved me from financial ruin. A 5 week hospital stay and bone marrow/stem cell transplant cost Blue Cross/ Blue Shield just a few bucks short of a quarter mill. That didn't include the 6-figure plus cost per injection of an experimental drug the manufacture absorbed into their research budget. I lost track of the cost of the hospital's fees for out-patient services before and after the hospital stay.

I hear plenty of good and bad about the VA facility here in Phoenix. Couple years ago VA saved a close friend after he had a stroke. He lost his health insurance after a divorce and leaving is father in law's business. He was to proud to ask for help or a loan after running out of his blood pressure meds. VA brought him back to health with physical therapy and he now gets his meds in the mail every month from VA.

My friend that was blinded in Nam preferred and continued to use the VA facility when he had private insurance through his employer. VA billed his insurance and his insurance paid until he retired. VA really has done a great job supplying him with blind aid devices despite the exorbitant cost. He swears by his attending physician, a Mexican woman. He claims she goes above and beyond taking on the bureaucracy. Getting him not only what he needs but things like a book/magazine reader, special computer for the blind. Along with the computer, VA contracted schooling and private tutoring that would normally only be approved if the patient needed it for his/her job.

Jumping off subject but since Karl brought it up. Has anybody seen the cap and toy gun collectors at gunshows? Like other toy collectors be it Barbies, Tonka Trucks or GI Joe stuff. The toy gun collectors I've talked with at gunshows take their hobby very seriously. Seeing a late 1950's cap gun I had as a kid with a $299 price tag was pretty shocking.

Seeing a late 1950's cap gun I had as a kid with a $299 price tag was pretty shocking.

AZ..

Gad..I think they were at most $5 and that was for the whole set...most were a buck or less.

karl