Military Firearm Restoration Corner

So I Have This Yugoslavian M24/47

Milsurp Bob

Well I bought this rifle a while back because it was looking all lonely and unloved sitting in the local gun shop.

The first sign that you are old (older, getting old etc...)is when you say "its not because of my age but",

well its not because of my age but I cannot use the orginal sights (the blurry blobs on the barrel) because I cannot ummm see them :lol:

Hate to alter this rifle but I cannot use it as it is. But I do like it.

So give me some ideas as to what you would do with this rifle if it were yours (receiver sight, drill and tap for a scope, rebarrel/rechamber, etc...)

Hunting will be the general use for this rifle.

Thanks folks!

Care-full Milsurp Bob that's how I got started.

Your Yugo 24/47 is an intermediate length action. The advantage (according to some including me) is that they are more accurate than a standard Mauser action. They are stiffer and have less flex under fire. I am very pleased with all of mine.

The down side is that any cartridge longer than 57mm in length are all most impossible to make cycle in the chamber. This rules out all based on the 30-06. They will work but will take a lot effort and not worth it.

If your barrel is in good shape then keep it a work up from there. If you need to replace the barrel then you could keep it in 8x57 and take almost any game in North America. From there have a new bolt handle welded on, D&T, sporter trigger and stock. You can glass bed and add a sporter bolt shroud. I just picked up a 24/47 that had a sporter bolt handle welded on it. I am going to finish the job but leave it 8x57.

Read through all the posts and you will find out almost anything you need to know. Ask any question you have and someone will have the answer. There are a lot of guys here that are willing to help.

Good luck and keep us updated as you progress.

Ralph

Some people have had good luck with the Mojo sights. It is basically a peep sight that will replace your stock rear sight without any permanent modifications.

You can also D&T for a scope or receiver sights. There are lots of 24/47's out there and many of them are not numbers matching, so the collector value on these are not that much. Doing a GOOD sporter job may actually add some value.

Well, you can rebarrel it to anything shorter than a 30-06 easily. Though, if you wanted to be different, and were into difficult projects, you could bake it into a 30-06. but that takes a bit more work.

I have an intermediate I turned into a fairly lightweight 22/250. Lightweight in the sense that it doesn't have a varmint barrel, but the Adams and Bennett barrels form Midway are not really lightweight. They are heavier than a standard sporter barrel. I also have one that I have installed a 308 Win barrel on using one of the Parker Hale target barrels. But that is going to change, and I am going to install a A&B heavy 308 barrel. I also have one with a 308 Win Mauser Mk X barrel one for a lighter hunting type rifle.

If you like the 25-06 round, it can be built on a Yugo action without too much trouble. The max cartridge length for the 25-06 is almost the same as that for the 8mm round. If extra length is needed one can remove a bit of metal from the interior rear wall of the magazine, and that will give the extra length needed.

Carridges you can rebarrel to:

22/250 Remington

220 Swift

243 Win

6mm Rem

250 Savage

257 Roberts

25-06

260 Rem

7mm-08

7mm Mauser

284 Win

300 Savage

308 Win

358 Win

350 Rem Magnum(lots of work required)

Well thanks everyone!

I reckon to be more specific, the problem(???) I am having is that there are a so many opitions that I am not sure which way to take this rifle. Its like being a dog in the forrest for the first time.

I bought a GEW 88 action and knew what I wanted to do with it. I have a Turkish 1893 Mauser that I am finishing up to be a Mannlicher Twede and knew thats what it would be when I saw it not to mention the DP Pattern 14 (though I went back and forth on the caliber) Etc...

But when I look at this (all matching) 24/47 I cannot see what it will be. I am perplexed though I am in no hurry so by the time I am ready to start on it I will know which way to go.

Keep the ideas coming.

I did a simple Drill and Tap job and forged the bolt handle on one of these guns for a fellow about a year ago. He wanted to maintain the military look, but he needed a scope. I don't often forge bolts, but this one looked quite good when done. There was a small modification required on the handguard to fit the front mount, but it turned out looking proper also.

Clemson

The Mojo sight is a good solution, and does not require much alteration. The original sights can be easily reinstalled if desired too.

You also have the potential to install a scout type rear sight replacement to allow you the use of a long eye relief scope without having to alter any other parts of the rifle. Yugo 24/47 rifles usually have near new barrels and are often good shooters with a variety of 8mm ammo.

Here's a link to a site offering quality S$K mounts for the Yugo models, just scan down about 3/4 the way for your model. Not cheap, but I have seen lower cost versions that will not hold a good zero. Just food for thought if the Mojo isn't what you want.

http://www.thecountryshed.com/s&k_scope_mounts.htm

Good luck and good shooting,

Spiris

The Mojo sight is a good solution, and does not require much alteration. The original sights can be easily reinstalled if desired too.

You also have the potential to install a scout type rear sight replacement to allow you the use of a long eye relief scope without having to alter any other parts of the rifle. Yugo 24/47 rifles usually have near new barrels and are often good shooters with a variety of 8mm ammo.

Here's a link to a site offering quality S$K mounts for the Yugo models, just scan down about 3/4 the way for your model. Not cheap, but I have seen lower cost versions that will not hold a good zero. Just food for thought if the Mojo isn't what you want.

http://www.thecountryshed.com/s&k_scope_mounts.htm

Good luck and good shooting,

Spiris

Thank you for mentioning the S&K system. I haved looked at them but according to the net there are mixed reviews. Do you have any personal experience with them?

The MOJO arrived today and I had it installed in less than 5 minutes and that included removing the original sight.

Won't be able to shoot it until hopefully tomorrow.

I do like the sight picture (now there actually is a sight picture :D ).

Thank you for mentioning the S&K system. I have looked at them but according to the net there are mixed reviews. Do you have any personal experience with them?

No experience with S&K mounts, but unfortunately with the cheaper Chinese made rear sight block on one of my M44 Mosin's. That version stood the scope too high above the line of sight for my comfort, and was not too secure. I put the original sight back on.

Spiris