Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Fire Ants

karlunity

If it wasn't in the garden I'd say pour a little gasoline down the ant hole. In this case, get a can of ant/roach killer. Stick a shovel down and turn the ground, then spray the boogers. I have to stay on the ants all the time. I do not rely on ant bait.

Welcome to the South, Karl. Fireants are the sucky part. They have fortunately not made it up here yet, but rumor is they are almost here. Anyway, when I lived in Texas, we had them. A lot. I found the best thing was to get your favorite insecticide, and the good stuff is all banned now, but get whatever you can at a Farmers' CoOp, etc., and keep a squirt bottle or sprayer loaded up with it at all times. As soon as you see a mound, grab the sprayer and nail it kinda heavy, and the surrounding area. You will eventually run out of mounds, except for those creeping in from the neighbors.

Saw a guy on TV once. He invented a fire ant killer. He took a cake pan, cut a hole in the middle, attached a flexible hose to it with the other end on a lawnmower engine exhaust. Put the pan over the mound and gas them with the exhaust. He had to demonstrate it on a neighbors yard for the TV because he didn't have anymore fireants.

Having lived in Florida several years let me tell you digging in a fireant mound will put you in the hospital. There is a bait you can use that kills the Queen thus destroying the colony all else is a waste of time unless things have changed since I left. Consult an exterminator for latest info on removal. And lots of luck, to get rid of the ones in my yard I just moved north.

Swamprat

Karl I use "Spectracide Fire Ant Killer Mound Destroyer " it works everytime for the season. They will always rear their ugly heads somewhere else in the yard every year no matter what you use. You can buy it most anywhere.

http://www.spectracide.com/Products-and-Solutions/Fire-Ant/Spectracide-Fire-Ant-Killer-Mound-Destoryer-Granules.aspx