Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Mauser, Not Sure Which Model

Brenden

Good evening all. I picked up a new gun at work the other day after telling some guys about building off mauser actions. One guy said he had one that he would sell me cheap; and the next day he brought me this. Is it a Columbia model 50, or a 24/30. Its standard length, 30-06 on the barrel, looks like small ring, but I can't remember which model has the bullet cut, and the crest appears scrubbed with no other markings except a serial number and what looks like three circles with a verticle line (like a clover).

It does have a lot of surface rust, but no under the stock line pitting. I figured for $50 bucks, I couldn't pass it up. It has a sporter stock on it that is rough but not cracked and may clean up nicely.

Brenden

SAM_1373.jpg

SAM_1372.jpg

SAM_1371.jpg

Nice catch,

For $50 in this day I would buy every one I could lay hands on.

OBTW that is a Large Ring M98. To tell at a quick glance look at the left side of reciever. There is a step up in diameter on the LR recievers.

Good evening all. I picked up a new gun at work the other day after telling some guys about building off mauser actions. One guy said he had one that he would sell me cheap; and the next day he brought me this. Is it a Columbia model 50, or a 24/30. Its standard length, 30-06 on the barrel, looks like small ring, but I can't remember which model has the bullet cut, and the crest appears scrubbed with no other markings except a serial number and what looks like three circles with a verticle line (like a clover).

It does have a lot of surface rust, but no under the stock line pitting. I figured for $50 bucks, I couldn't pass it up. It has a sporter stock on it that is rough but not cracked and may clean up nicely.

Brenden

SAM_1373.jpg

SAM_1372.jpg

SAM_1371.jpg

Brenden

MY FN Belgian Model 24 looks exactly like it. It's a large ring, standard length action. I would have ripped the pocket off my jeans getting my wallet out for the $50. The surface rust shouldn't be a big deal. It should make for a great build. Keep us posted as you go.

Ralph