Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Got 'er Done

odies dad

I finally finished up my 458 Lott project. I got the chamber reamer today and got the headspace set.

This is built on a P14 Enfield action with an E. R. Shaw barrel and a Boyds walnut stock. It also wears a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 scope.

I have a box of 458 Win mag loaded up with 500gr Hornaday bullets set to around 2000fps. Now I just need to sucker I mean entice one of my friends into test firing it for me.

I will try to get some pictures taken one of these days.

I have the reamer for sale on Mauser Central with the condition that it be donated to the co-op. If it does not sell there by Monday, I will post it here.

Many of the sporterized Enfields end up with the bottom metal straightened and the bolt reworked. I like the potbelly look and I also like the dogleg bolt.

The cartridge shown is a 458 Win mag with a 500gr bullet. That is the light load for it. Kinda like shooting a 38 in a 357 mag.

I got it sighted in. Shoots overlapping holes at 25 yards but opens up (mostly due to wiggle) to around 2-3" at 100 yards. I figure if I get anywhere close to a deer, it will be down.

The recoil is a little worse than a 12 gauge. Not as bad as I expected it to be, but substantial. I don't think I will bring it prairie dog hunting. You never know when a rhino is going to get into the flower bed.

I figure I can just shoot into the woods and go pick up all the deer and kindling.