Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Prices

FC

Why in the world are gun and shooting item prices up 50% or so since 2006? The sale prices are insane! I am so glad I bought all I need before 2008.

Agreed..makes me sorry I gave away my ammo when I left Cali.

28 bucks for a lb of power or 32 for 1000 rifle primers is unreal.

$ 19 for a box of .380 fmj!!!!!!!

I am getting things back in order but oy!!!!

karl

Tony, it's called Inflation. All prices go up, our wages stay the same because "there's no inflation."

Karl, I couldn't believe you got rid of your ammo/components. At the time I thought your were screwing up, but, hey, it was your decision.

Tony, it's called Inflation. All prices go up, our wages stay the same because "there's no inflation."

Karl, I couldn't believe you got rid of your ammo/components. At the time I thought your were screwing up, but, hey, it was your decision.

Seemed like a good idea at the time. : )

I kept the bullets..cases and tools so not all was lost.

karl

Most of the rise came in 2008, after Obama was elected. We kind of di it to ourselves as people made runs on ammo and guns. And of course, the resulting demand and scarcity led to a rise in prices.

I could understand the demand out-strippng supply on fears of what Obummer would do, but now there should be a drop in prices, but that hasn't happened. There's inflation, but not at this rate for most of the rest of the economy.

Do a search on Craigslist for, "Reloading" for some good stuff. You can look at garage sales too.

I understand that the market for brass and copper has gone up as well.

People are stealing church bells and electric wire.

Still...the stuff is out there you just have to look a bit...and stay away, if you can, from the large stores.

karl

I could understand the demand out-strippng supply on fears of what Obummer would do, but now there should be a drop in prices, but that hasn't happened. There's inflation, but not at this rate for most of the rest of the economy.

Do a search on Craigslist for, "Reloading" for some good stuff. You can look at garage sales too.

Recent stories I have seen indicate that Americans are buying up guns at an amazing rate. The supply may not be keeping up with demand thereby creating scarcity. Not only are guns "cool" again (at least for a while), but gun owners may still be scared that the libs are just waiting for the right opportunity to make another big move on gun rights. Remember, like communists, they never give up, they just bide their time.

In general, the Obama / NRA combination has been a real shot in the arm for the gun industry (pun intended).

Some gun prices have actually come down quite a bit in the last year or so.

I get frequent email advertisements from Centerfire Systems and you can get an AK-47 for under $400.

The prices on the on-line auctions is another matter altogether. I can understand someone paying top dollar for one of Mitchells Mauser’s, as the samples I've seen look like they just came off the assembly line, but $400 to $500 for a run of the mill, pitted k-98 is ridiculous.

I understand that the market for brass and copper has gone up as well.

People are stealing church bells and electric wire.

Still...the stuff is out there you just have to look a bit...and stay away, if you can, from the large stores.

karl

It is more than just brass and copper. Have you priced lead lately? The Red Chinese are buying up our scrap metal driving raw material prices up. A few years ago while sitting n a Grand Jury. A good percentage of our cases involved tweekers doing major damage to businesses, forcing many to close their doors a few days. The low-lifes would steal a few dollars worth of copper destroying air-conditioning units or causing major flooding. Many businesses have been spray painting their brass fixtures with aluminum spray paint to try and disguise the brass.

It is more than just brass and copper. Have you priced lead lately? The Red Chinese are buying up our scrap metal driving raw material prices up. A few years ago while sitting n a Grand Jury. A good percentage of our cases involved tweekers doing major damage to businesses, forcing many to close their doors a few days. The low-lifes would steal a few dollars worth of copper destroying air-conditioning units or causing major flooding. Many businesses have been spray painting their brass fixtures with aluminum spray paint to try and disguise the brass.

The last time I bought tin, I paid $9/lb. I got an email from my supplier and now it's running around $17/lb. The good thing about using this supplier(Roto Metals)is $100 order or more is free shipping. The bad news is you can reach that level far too quickly. It's going no where but up, and it's not gonna go bad sitting on the shelf, so buy what you can.

I cannot help hoping that the Red Chinese don't return the scrap metal to our kids the way that the Japanese did to our fathers.

Everyone wants to make a buck but suppling the followers of Mao???

I know the theory that if we are all tied together by trade..we wont go to war..but google and you will find that that did not work in WW l or WW ll.

karl

I bought lead on Auction Arms. Don't know if it has tin. Can't remember, is the ideal 10% tin?

It depends. 90/10 lead tin can be used for hard cast bullets like you would load for 45acp.15/1 can be used for revolver loads because you don't have to be concerned with the possibility of deformation during the cycling of the action. Black powder cartridge rifles can show a preference for 20/1 or 30/1 lead/tin.

Very good information you gave there.

In my experience I've found 1-2% tin works fine for me. Tin does add a little hardness but if you want hard bullets you need antimony. I add just enough tin to get a good fill out in my bullet mold. Generally clip-on wheel weights run apx 2/6/92, tin, antimony and lead. That mix will usually provide good castability and shooting for most handgun loads. With clip-on weights especially you have to watch out for weights made out of zinc. Stick-on wheel weights are usually close to 100% lead but I have come across a few made of zinc. Zinc will turn your mix into mush and bullets come out undersized. One caution, antimony is poisonous. The best way to work with it is to use lead/antimony bars already alloyed that melt apx 650 degrees. You can buy powdered antimony dust that melts about 1100 degrees but like arsenic it just isn't worth the risk fooling with, in my opinion.

A good place to buy bullet casting alloys.

ROTO METALS

In my experience I've found 1-2% tin works fine for me. Tin does add a little hardness but if you want hard bullets you need antimony. I add just enough tin to get a good fill out in my bullet mold. Generally clip-on wheel weights run apx 2/6/92, tin, antimony and lead. That mix will usually provide good castability and shooting for most handgun loads. With clip-on weights especially you have to watch out for weights made out of zinc. Stick-on wheel weights are usually close to 100% lead but I have come across a few made of zinc. Zinc will turn your mix into mush and bullets come out undersized. One caution, antimony is poisonous. The best way to work with it is to use lead/antimony bars already alloyed that melt apx 650 degrees. You can buy powdered antimony dust that melts about 1100 degrees but like arsenic it just isn't worth the risk fooling with, in my opinion.

A good place to buy bullet casting alloys.

ROTO METALS

I agree 100%. When I posted I was half asleep and did not feel up to a lot of detail. It's really difficult to alloy pure antimony because of the temp involved. I've used Rotometals and they offer a wide variety of alloys suitable for bullet casting. Good service and high quality.

I've used Rotometals and they offer a wide variety of alloys suitable for bullet casting. Good service and high quality.

As long as the Post Office continues "if it fits it ships" policy we can buy alloy bars, cast bullets and bird shot without getting gouged for shipping fees.

How can you tell if the wheel weights are zinc- the shininess?

I rub them against my driveway. Lead feels like you're writing with a piece of chalk. Zinc feels like you're rubbing a rock. Zinc weights are often riveted on to the steel clip but not always. If you're pot is capable of keeping the melt temp low keep it set just slightly higher than lead's melt temp and zinc will float to the top.