Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Installing Rear Sight Base

jwolf4

I would like to install a rear sight base I got from APEX on a 1943 Mauser I picked up recently. I tried sliding it on over the barrel and it got stuck just before the rear sight base alignment hole. Is this ordinary? I would need to hammer it down the rest of the way but I don't want to damage the barrel.

My goal is to make a Mauser scout by using a rear sight base to mount a LER scope. I'd rather not have the receiver drilled.

Anyone have any experience with this type of situation? What other options do I have to mount LER scopes or ghost rings without drilling into the receiver?

I haven't found that yet. I searched for something along those lines and everything that came up required the rear sight base already installed.

I just received a sight base from APEX gun parts but I'm wondering if it fits the barrel on my Mauser. I'll probably just have to go to a local gunsmith and see if he knows or can do what I'm asking.

I've come across the XS scope mount that encircles the barrel but it's not exactly what I was looking for. I think I will have to go that route however if I find nothing else. I'd like to have the ability to take the mount off and put it back on quickly. With this one I think it is permanent.

http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=scopemounts&cID=Scope%20Mounts&pID=scopemounts

Well not exactly permanent but would be a PIA to remove/change due to being epoxied around barrel. Which would not be a bad setup if you also had a reciever sight as shown in their illustration.

Removal would require a heat gun and some pounding with a soft mallet.

JM2c

Oh, you don't have a sight base on at all? Well, that makes the attachment to the site base useless then. I have seen advertised "no gunsmithing" sight bases that somehow clamp on to the receiver. They say you need to remove some of the wood. They've been around for years.

BTW, the original sight base was sweated onto the barrel. The screw only holds it in place long enough to do the silver solder stuff.

Would the XS scout mount affect accuracy by being epoxied on?

Could a gunsmith sweat the rear sight base on the barrel? I read that you don't need to solder it back on, you could just use some red locktite from what I understand.

Effect accuracy?........... Probably not. No more than the original because both are located at the rearmost, thickest, stiffest, part of the barrel. Should have little effect on harmonics.

Gunsmith sweat it on?..........Not that one because it is made of aluminum not steel.

Red Loc-Tite?..........That can be done with original because it is a tight fit.But not likely with XS because of clearances. Those are made on specific diameters for clearance of the epoxy which is many times thicker than the Loc-Tite.

The solder used under the mil-original was simply soft lead/tin not silver bearing which requires much higher temp to flow.

JM2c

• 2 months later...

Use a Thompson Center Contender base. The Weaver is the cheapest. D&T the barrel. You only need three threads. The holes will be no deeper than the original locating hole. LL

I did this on a Swedish M38 and it worked marvelously. I was quite tickled with my cheap setup that was low and uncomplicated.