Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1917 Rear Bridge Hole?

cowboy shooter

, the way it was once done was to fit a headless screw and file it flush. I think that they may have put a bit of lock tight or perhaps glue in the old days on the screw to prevent it ever coming out.

I like the eddystone and have one, but I understand that the actions could crack when the barrel was removed..so if you have an Eddystone, you may want to check that.

karl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1917_Enfield

Thanks for the reply. I believe my action is a winchester but not sure. all markings were machined off. I did the gasoline trip and didn't detect any cracks. The bolt I believe is remington. I made a plug to fit the hole and remember reading a post that 7018 rods blue well. I sanded the flux off a rod and tried it on a piece of the material I made the plug out of and it worked good. I'm just trying to make sure about the weld before I do something dumb that I could have prevented with a little more patients.

, the way it was once done was to fit a headless screw and file it flush. I think that they may have put a bit of lock tight or perhaps glue in the old days on the screw to prevent it ever coming out.

I like the eddystone and have one, but I understand that the actions could crack when the barrel was removed..so if you have an Eddystone, you may want to check that.

karl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1917_Enfield

Karl, I think he's referring to the duck pond. :D

• 1 month later...