Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Turkish Mauser Re Barrel

Hubertboughton

Hello, I'm new here and would like some input on a Turkish Mauser action that I have.

I have an action that I bought a few years ago planning to build into a sporter. I've never done anything like this before, I have always wanted to do it. I bought it from a guy on gunbroker, who listed it as a Turkish large ring Mauser with small ring threads, the hand guard extension has been removed, bolt face trued, and drilled and tapped for scope bases, if I remember correctly I think I paid 45.00 for it. I got it out the other day planning to start buying some parts to put it together, took some measurements on it and the barrel threads are large ring, with the hand guard extension removed, which leaves about 5 threads. I want to build it into a 6.5x55, would it be possible to use a short chambered barrel, and have a spacer/washer made to fill the gap between the front of the receiver and the barrel shoulder? would that be safe? Any input would be appreciated!

Hubert

Hello, I'm new here and would like some input on a Turkish Mauser action that I have.

I have an action that I bought a few years ago planning to build into a sporter. I've never done anything like this before, I have always wanted to do it. I bought it from a guy on gunbroker, who listed it as a Turkish large ring Mauser with small ring threads, the hand guard extension has been removed, bolt face trued, and drilled and tapped for scope bases, if I remember correctly I think I paid 45.00 for it. I got it out the other day planning to start buying some parts to put it together, took some measurements on it and the barrel threads are large ring, with the hand guard extension removed, which leaves about 5 threads. I want to build it into a 6.5x55, would it be possible to use a short chambered barrel, and have a spacer/washer made to fill the gap between the front of the receiver and the barrel shoulder? would that be safe? Any input would be appreciated!

Hubert

Why wouldn`t it work? I`m seen it done before & it worked perfect. Just make sure it`s a hard material you make the spacer out of.

You don't need a spacer/washer between the shoulder of the barrel and receiver. The barrel will seat inside the receiver on the C ring, the shoulder of the barrel is the secondary shoulder. You can by A&B short chambered threaded small shank barrels from Brownells and Midway for less than a $100. What's the diameter of the barrel threads in the receiver? Small shank barrels have a .980? diameter and large shank barrels are 1.1"

Bobg

You don't need a spacer/washer between the shoulder of the barrel and receiver. The barrel will seat inside the receiver on the C ring, the shoulder of the barrel is the secondary shoulder. You can by A&B short chambered threaded small shank barrels from Brownells and Midway for less than a $100. What's the diameter of the barrel threads in the receiver? Small shank barrels have a .980? diameter and large shank barrels are 1.1"

Bobg

The receiver threads are 1.1"...when I said that I "took some measurements", I probably should have said that "I ordered a small shank barrel from midway and when it arrived and was too small, my keen powers of observatism kicked in and told me that it was a large ring thread!" LOL! oops!

I was wondering about using the spacer mainly for looks, to fill the gap that will be left between the shoulders.

thanks for the reply.

Hubert

Don't use a spacer.

It sounds as if you have a large ring that was "turked" as part of the 1938 remodel program, or possibly a ATF-54.

The correct way to install a barrel to your receiver is to shorten the threaded portion of your barrel so it is .001-.003 longer than the "receiver ring to inner torque ring" and tighten to 65lbs. then use a finish reamer and go no-go gauges to set head space.

If you can't do this yourself, get a qualified gunsmith to do it for you. You don't want some unsuspecting person to end up with this 20 years from now.