Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Question About Headspace Gauges?

unioncreek

I found a set of U.S. Ord. Dept 30-06 headspace gauges. I'm not familar with this type of headspace gauges, but I'm going to need some when I rebarrel my Turk. Will this set of gauges work or are they something special?

Bobg.

I found a set of U.S. Ord. Dept 30-06 headspace gauges. I'm not familar with this type of headspace gauges, but I'm going to need some when I rebarrel my Turk. Will this set of gauges work or are they something special?

Bobg.

They should work for any 06 based case you may be using 25, 270, 30, 8MM, 338, 35W

The usual thing about military gauges is that they tend to be more generous than SAMI.

I think more so with the 'No-go' than the 'Go'. A military 'No-go' usually falls in between a

SAMI 'No-go' and 'Field'. If you cut your chamber so that there is just the slightest drag

with the 'Go' then you don't need to worry about the 'No-go'.

Just be sure to clear your chamber of chips before you check.

So tell us more about your project. What '06' based cartridge are you going with?

Tinker

Tinker,

I'm rebuilding a Turk, bought a Remington 700 barrel that is rethreaded and short chambered to 30-06. I'm going to give this one to my son in Alaska and I wanted it to be chambered so that he could just buy ammo off the shelf. I have another Turk that I may must rechamber to 8mm-06.

Bobg

They should work for any 06 based case you may be using 25, 270, 30, 8MM, 338, 35W

The usual thing about military gauges is that they tend to be more generous than SAMI.

I think more so with the 'No-go' than the 'Go'. A military 'No-go' usually falls in between a

SAMI 'No-go' and 'Field'. If you cut your chamber so that there is just the slightest drag

with the 'Go' then you don't need to worry about the 'No-go'.

Just be sure to clear your chamber of chips before you check.

So tell us more about your project. What '06' based cartridge are you going with?

Tinker