Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mosquitos

roscoedoh

Perhaps I'm bored? blink.gif

I think we got a load of new mosquitos blown up from the coast during Hurricane Rita. I say this as I've lived in this area for almost 23 years and I'm used to seeing little black/white stripped mosquitos buzzing around me while I'm outside. There are bigger skeeters that inhabit the marshes I teal hunt in, but ever they are not all that big.

So today was nice day and I had all the doors and windows open to take advantage of the pleasant October weather. Apparently I let some visitors in. A little while ago I noticed what looked like a mosquito hawk by the kitchen sink light. It wasn't a skeeter hawk, it was a huge mosquito! I'm seeing more an more of these lately. I didn't see them prior to Rita.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Comparatively speaking, this mosquito is the size of a condor compared to our standard insect fair. Could this be a salt marsh mosquito of some kind? I'm hoping that if we've had an infusion of mosquitos from down south, they didn't bring the diseases with them that they're know to carry.

Any entomologists in the house tonight?

Jason

We don't have any mosquitos here, too dry. They haven't sold a can of insect spray in years (not since Claudette).

But until you have been in the Everglades, you don't know how bad mosquitos can be. When the sun goes down in the glades, the things come out in squadrons. And they sound just like a piston-engine bomber when they come in.

I dared a few fellows to camp out overnight in the glades once. They were young and inexperienced, and didn't last more than an hour before splitting for home!

fritz