Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Gun Show Report

odies dad

Went to the big Dakota Territory Weapons Collectors Assn. gun show in Fargo yesterday. Lots of stuff. Lots of $300 Mausers and Enfields that should have been $100.

Picked up 600 rounds of 45ACP brass pretty cheap. Found a recoil pad that would fit a stock that needed one. Got a new Lee die set for 30 Luger for $20. A few other little odds and ends from various parts bins. Found Liam a scope for his 22.

I did find a guy with a box of barreled receivers for $5 each. I grabbed the only Mauser that was there. The rest were MN's and one bolt action shotgun of some sort. I figured the parts I would need to complete a MN would cost more than a complete rifle would run.

The Mauser had a K98 barrel with sights and a front hood. I don't think it was the original barrel because it was screwed on tight at about a 45 degree angle off to the right of 12 o'clock. It had the ejector box and trigger but no bolt or bottom metal. It also had a picatinny scope mount. Way more than $5 worth of parts.

The receiver has some pretty bad pitting, but most will be below the wood line. I think I will try filling the pits with epoxy and doing a Duracoat type finish. The receiver was scrubbed of any identifying crests. I didn't see any sign of lug setback when I pulled the barrel.

Now I have a new project to figure out what to do with. I am thinking of trying a 280 this time. I have a box of shells in my cabnet for that but nothing to shoot it in.

As part of the trip we went to lunch at Golden Corral, except it wasn't Golden corral any more. They went private, but had great food as The Iron Kettle. Next we stopped at Chicken Hill (AKA Gander Mountain), where I saw a $349 #1 Mk3 Enfield with a cutdown stock and a scope mount epoxied on. I would have passed this one up at $50. GM has been a big disappointment lately.

Next stop was Scheels. They had some nice stuff there. Got a bag of 6mm Rem brass that I didn't find at the show.

No one had any 458 Lott brass.

Had a great time. For a change the weather was great and the roads were good.