Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Safety Help

rustvyper

So I have a Frankenstein sporter I'm putting together. Everything is mismatched from my parts drawer. The problem I'm having is that the safety doesn't clear the cocking piece by a hundredth of a inch or two. I'm using a offset, low scope sporter safety & a single stage sporter trigger. I've tried the original safety & multiple cocking pieces, shrouds, firing pins & bolt bodies - still no change. I've done 6-8 Mauser sporters before, I've just always gone with a FN style shroud & aftermarket trigger with side safety. 

Can anyone clue me what I'm doing wrong?

I ran into that a few years ago on one of my builds, and to be honest, I don't remember exactly how I fixed it, but I believe it was another firing pin, maybe a combination with another cocking piece. IIRC, the notch set a bit too far forward, and I might have touched the engagement angle of the low safety with the dremel.

Maybe a touch of a grinder on a cocking piece to widen the notch in the right direction so you can complete the project.

Perhaps someone has a better solution than my seat of the pants fix.

Spiris

Spiris pretty much nailed it IMO.

This sometimes happens with after market sporter triggers or mix-n-match mil parts. Where the sear extends upwards through the reciever bottom is slightly to far forward for reliable safety engagement.

Some after market 2 position shroud safeties are rather thick to allow for proper fitting.

Take extreme care not to over-do matl. removal. The safety {MUST} move the CP rearward slightly when engaged. If not it creates a {VERY UNSAFE} condition that can cause the rifle to fire when the safety is flipped off if the trigger has been pulled while on safe. :o

Stone a little, check for fit. Repeat repeatedly as needed. ;)

It's a 98 - I diagnosed a longer trigger/sear piece would solve everything right away, but dang if I could find one out of the 15 or so I had in my drawer that would do it. I guess I'll get going on stoning down the safety & CP. It shouldn't be much to get it. Thanks guys.