Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Re-D&t A Receiver Advice Please

tinkerfive

I've got this receiver that was previously D&T'd, apparently by hand and get this for #4 screws.

Using my jig the front holes were close enough that they cleaned up nicely when I re-D&T'd for

standard #6-48 screws. The rear holes however were right of center and to the rear such that

once the rears were re D&T'd there is no thread engagement from 3:00 to 6:00 because the holes

now are egg shaped where the fat part of the egg is the #6 screw hole and the pointy part of the egg is where the #4 screws were.

I have #8-40 taps. I'm kind of afraid that if I go ahead and replace the #6 holes with #8 holes that I still won't have thread engagement from 3:30 to 5:30.

If I use a 1 piece 3 hole base am I OK as is with the #6 screws?

Should I turn the 3 hole base into a 4 hole base and have 2 rear screws in egg shaped holes

rather than 1 rear screw?

Should I turn the 3 hole base into a 4 hole base AND drill the rear holes to #8 ?

Looking forward to the wisdom that I know is here.

Tinker

I would weld up the holes and start over. Since we're talking rear bridge, re-heattreat would not be needed. If you get the holes tiged it would make no difference anyway.

I would weld up the holes and start over. Since we're talking rear bridge, re-heattreat would not be needed.

Sage advice, and it will take care of the misalignment and egg shaped holes. Just make sure that you clean up the underside of the rear bridge of any slag that may be there, with a small riffle file.

Spiris

I had a similar reclaim once. The screws engaged, but they were a little wobbly & I knew they wouldn't hold for the long term. I filled the holes with job weld, waited for it to cure, redrilled with a 7/64" bit (slightly smaller than the #31) & the ran the 6-48 tap through. A little blue loctite on there & they haven't budged in literally hundreds of rounds!