Military Firearm Restoration Corner

License plates

fritz

This is mainly aimed at Texas vehicle owners, but I would appreciate other states residents' reply also.

So, today I get my new license plates for the truck I bought last month. Problem is, there was only one plate in the package. Now, as far as I know Texas still requires two plates (one on the front and one on the back). I have done a little research on the web and found that there is a movement afoot to change the Texas law to require only a rear plate. A savings of 3 million a year was mentioned (and everyone knows Texas could use the savings).

Lower manufacturing cost (for one plate along with a cheaper reflectorization process) would save Texas taxpayers 15 million over the next 5 years. While I mentioned "reflectorization", did you Texas folks realize you are paying an additional fee for your plates for reflectorization?

Now, I figure somebody made a mistake and sent me only one plate instead of the two required. Me and mrs fritz went round and round about whethere there was maybe two plates stuck together in the package. But damned if if I can pry them apart if they are. She claims there is only one (and who am I to doubt her word)?

The reason I got so upset about this seemingly simple mistake of having only one plate goes back to the days of my hot-rodding. I was pulled over in Corpus Christi and given a ticket for improperly registered vehicle. Yeah, you guessed it--no front plate (I had taken the bumper off to get the thing repainted). The fundillo motorcycle cop (the infamous Officer Mudd) stopped me right in front of the body shop!

That was my first and only ticket I ever got in my 62 years of age. While that may not be a record, the fact that it was for such a sieso reason still sticks in my craw.

Now I know that some (maybe all) of the states bordering Texas only issue one plate (the rear). So do at least 20 other states. But Texas still likes to spend the extra money to manufacture two for each of the millions of vehicles registered in Texas.

But they saved money on me by giving me only one. I'm always glad to do my part to help save the state money.

What I won't be glad of is when a cop pulls me over for only having one plate!

At least it won't be the infamous Corpus Christi motorcycle cop, since he is long retired. To be truthful, he probably recognized my hot-rod at the time and singled me out. But that's another story!

fritz

Fritz,

I'm sure that if we're going to one license plate, it was a tough fight as I'm pretty sure the DPS takes delight in busting everyone with a sporty front bumper or Confederate battle flag or other personalized plate up front. Especially the Confederate flag - that seems to draw the attention of lots of black cops and got a lot of us pulled over back in high school. I wonder what the income/savings ratio was for citations given for improper display of license vs no front plate in the future? Something doesn't seem right with all this. Who knows? (I doubt our legislators do... blink.gif )

Futher, did they mail you your license plate? I've always gone up to the courthouse for a new set when I needed them. Are they mailing them now too?

And since we need savings, I propose that we shitcan high school sports programs. Think of the money we'd save... Sports programs never did me much good, although better teachers might have. I know I speak heresy as Texas is a high school football state, but its unfair that the disproportionatley few students who do receive scholarships based on sports performance cost all the rest of us better teachers and more useful programs (like an ag or trades program). Think of the money we'd save there....

Well, I called the dealer this morning and they said that the Victoria County tax office (where the sale was made, I live in Goliad Co.) made a mistake and sent them only one plate. They mailed me that one at the time, then today I get the other directly from the Victoria Co. tax office with an appology.

But get this--the name on the envelope was for a man named Henry. They got my address correct, but my name wrong.

Oh well, I guess it's like the fellow used to say on the comedy show (was it Laugh-in?)--you can call me Ray, or you can call me, etc. etc.

I have gone through life having my named misspronounced because so many people do not know the German rule of spelling. Hell, now I'm confused--is it I before E except after C? Or the other way around?

Whatever, I ain't Henry. They could have just sent it to fritz. It would have probably got to me!

But this tax office screws up worse than my small county tax office does. I guess it's the volume they handle. Doesn't matter where it's registered, just don't register it in a county like Travis County (and have to prove you don't live there in order to get around the new requirement on special emmisions testing at state inspection time). Last I heard was that even the mechanics' own vehicles were failing the test (for smog control).

But Travis Co. (Austin) has a bad air problem. My eyes burn from the time I leave the oil fumes of Luling till I get back home from Austin.

I still think Texas could get by just fine with one plate.

And Jason, I agree to a point, on your statement about high school sports taking an abnormal amount of taxpayer money. But this is Texas, and remember the movie, Friday Night Lights?

That was taking it to the extreme. But that was West Texas, and there just ain't much to do out there except football.

And tomorrow, our Texas Longhorns will kick the crap out of those cowboys from Lubbock!

The spread is 15.5 points, but I doubt if Texas can make the spread. Likely to be a close game.

fritz

Fritz,

When the tax office screws up, I doubt it has anything to do with the volume of work they handle. And if it does, shame on them! If these people weren't working in a comfy government job and were in the private sector, I'll bet you a cold Shiner you'd of gotten both plates. And probably for less money.

Say, there's an idea: Let's privatize the license plate business. Can't the private sector generally do it cheaper than government?

I'll admit that I'm biased against football; I was in band and we had(?) the worst football team in the district. Still, I think we place too much emphasis on them and not enough on education. The Navy were the only people interested in any athletics I may have played. Everybody else is only interested in my academics.

Can't the private sector generally do it cheaper than government?

Well, the plates are made by inmates at the state prison, so I guess they are getting a little cheaper labor that way. I would rather work in the license plate shop than on one of the old road gangs. If I was an inmate, that is.

Do they still hold the prison rodeos? They were at Huntsville I believe. Some of those inmates are good cowboys. We once had an old local boy (who threw a wide loop) sent there. Don't know how many rustlers they get anymore. But if the price of cattle stays up, it might be a more profitable crime than holding up a convenience store. If I was a criminal, that is.

fritz