Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Remington 1903 A3 Stripped Action ?

Westcliffe01

Perhaps the wrong forum, but does anyone know whether these actions are worth anything ?

They are listed as being Remington 1903 A3 receivers. There is just the receiver with the bolt body and the extractor ring.

I figure one needs the entire striker assy (where to find it ?), the hood and safety and extractor.

Any comments on quality and ruggedness ?

Run the other way.

f11930r.jpg

f11903r1.jpg

$130 at Aim Surplus. They are also listed as Smith Carona receivers.

Perhaps the wrong forum, but does anyone know whether these actions are worth anything ?

They are listed as being Remington 1903 A3 receivers. There is just the receiver with the bolt body and the extractor ring.

I figure one needs the entire striker assy (where to find it ?), the hood and safety and extractor.

Any comments on quality and ruggedness ?

Run the other way.

f11930r.jpg

f11903r1.jpg

$130 at Aim Surplus. They are also listed as Smith Carona receivers.

It would depend:.figure

$100 in parts from Springfield sporters or more from Gun parts.

$250 for a barrel (some cost a lot more.)

$25 for the trigger group

$100 for the stock

$500 to put it all together if you need a smith.

Now, I could be WAY off but I think you are looking at $1105 for a very good springfield.

Now,if you consider that I have seen beatup Springfields go for $ 700 or a bit more, especially, if you can put it together, this would not be bad.

Again this is off the top of my head but I think it within a few hundred.

As "Any comments on quality and ruggedness" both of those firms have good names and the folks at Aim are honest.

karl

They are a good action but these ones are missing lots of parts. I looked at these earlier this winter but decided against it, however YMMV.

The history of the 1903 springfield is very interesting, in a nut shell, it's a knock-off of the Mauser 98.

I have no experience with this particular batch of 03 receivers but there are a lot of reactivated drill rifle receivers out there. If the finish looks too good for a 70 year old rifle then I would take a really good look at them particularly in the magazine cut off area and the front of the ring. You also would want to check the bolt face to make sure that the firing pin hole was not welded up at some point.