Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Projects

odies dad

A couple weeks ago, I stopped in at the pawn shop. The owner had a project for me to work on. He had a Remington 572 Fieldmaster pump 22 that someone had started taking apart and did it wrong. Lost the metal clips that hold the forearm to the loading tube. It was also really gummy, but I saw that it had some potential. I asked him how much room I had on it for fixing it. He said he only had $100 into it, so it should be good.

As he was looking for a case for it, I decided to make him an offer on it.

I told him I would give him $100 for it as is and he could keep the Norinco 4x scope and see through rings. He said that sounded like a fine idea.

I ordered the obvious parts for it and then tore it apart to clean it. I also redid the scruffy stock. As I took the trigger group out, a piece of metal fell out. I couldn't see where it came from, so I did a complete tear down on it. Turns out it was the back part of the firing pin. I ordered one of those as well and got it today. Got it all put back together and tried it out today. Sweetheart! Popped off 15 rounds without a hitch.

Got another project in the works as well. Putting together a Turkington 270. Turk Mauser receiver with a Remington takeoff barrel in 270, Boyds featherweight thumbhole stock.

Sounds like a good deal on the pump. The pawn shops around here are way out of line on prices and wont budge, probably why they dont sell much. I just finished a Winchester 1902 single shot .22 and am working on sporterizing a Mosin Nagant. Next project is an Arisaka type 38 that I picked up for $125. Have fun with the Turkington.