Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mosin Nagant Sporter

srtolly

I'm new to this forum so consider this an introduction. I enjoy restoring old firearms but this is different. I bought this at a gun show with the ATI stock poorly fitted. The idea was to turn it in to a MOA shooter for under $200. At this point I'm at $130 including the $100 i paid for the rifle (not counting labor of course). The scope on it will be replaced with a 6x german scope that I got for $20 NIB at a gun show. Scope mount was modified from a Remington 1100 shotgun. I made the bolt handle to work better with my arthritis. Cut the barrel down to 24" and re crowned. Almost ready to shoot. I still want to do a pistol grip. Any ideas on a finish are appreciated.

post-7349-133973737884_thumb.jpg

ATI stocks can be warped and difficult to fit. I have had two different forearms for my No.4 Mk.1. One was straight the other I had to take a Dremel with sanding drum to in order for the barrel trough to be straight enough so that it didn't put pressure on the barrel. The stock I had for my MN was a great fit. Lots of variance in the product, but I have to say that they are very durable if you want a knock-about stock.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. I was leaning to the Duracoat products in some kind of camo pattern. I picked up a Tapco AR 15 pistol grip today and got started shaping it. I'll post a pic when I have it on. Thinking about an angled forearm grip lately as well. Some days I can't quite get my hands in the right position for a good shot.