Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Mauser Sporter

mrontime

Let me start by saying, I found the purists first and they did not like me or my new fangled ideas. I have had a horribly bubbad mauser for around 10 yrs. as most things do it began with a bet. me and a freind were watching the little girl that pretends to work on guns on American Guns. I had just finished restoring a 1934 singer 15-91 sewing machine and was admittedly bragging about my abilities to resurect various objects. When the challenge was struck. fix that mauser then bad***. Until this point I had only loved guns and restored old cars. I had no idea who P.O. Ackley was, or what hatchers noterbook was. I had never reloaded a bullet, or thought about hitting a target more than a couple hundred yards away. this bet let to a discovery, a richer history than i could find on tv unfolded for me like a mystery. the big game africa rifles and the 2600 fps rule for hunting big game, the 8-06 and loading tables and powder weights and covertions for powders that are considered too hot now. enough information to fill a room of pages. the barrel it had was only 14' long lol so i pulled it and wrestled with what to chamber my new project in. In the end i found a superb like unshot turk barrel for under 50 bucks. and i figured i can always change or go to 8-06 at a later date. so i got the barrel and took the lip off the reciever, then took a small amount from the bottom of the barrel so that both surfaces of the barrel seated firmly to the reciever. I wasnt part of a forum at the time so i didnt take pics, sorry. then i set the headspace with a rented reamer and go/ no go guage for standard 8mm. A boyds featherlite varminter stock in pepper laminate, a birchwood casey blue and stock kit and a whole lot of sanding followed. Its worth noting that i ordered a "turk mauser" barrel from e bay that actually turned out to be a vz-24 barrel, when i tried to return it the guy told me to take a refund and keep the barrel, so i sold it for 50 bucks on mauser Rx. this nearly covered the cost of the stock as i got it in unfinished condition. I also ordered a bold 2.5-4lb trigger. I have gotten as far as coating the stock, hating it and sanding it all back down and taking alot of the squareness out of it. im very happy now and the only pics i have currently dont show the change but i will post pics from the first coat anyways. I have decided to keep the lenght of the barrel and add a muzzel break to the end. I still need to steel bed the stock, have the bolt handle welded on, and drill and tap the scope mounts. I hand sanded the reciever smooth then reblued it. then test fired 2 wolf gold brand 198 gr. copper jacketed soft point bullets thru it. It was one of the greatest feeling of satisfaction i have ever felt to pull the bolt back and see a perfect shell with the case un streched or split and the primer still properly seated. well here are a few pics. i will post more soon.

img0208nl.jpg

img0210jh.jpg

Fun, ain't it!

Now you gots the fever. No known cure.

:D Clemson

when i started it was so much info my head swam, it was sleepless nights and reading till headaches... now that i look back it was the most fun ive had sice i built my opel gt. there are worse fevers to be had lol

thinking about it, the best i can hope for is that a hundred years from now someone may see what i have made and decide that it needs exactly nothing done to it.

...........It was one of the greatest feeling of satisfaction i have ever felt................

One of the best things about it is that you never stop learning new stuff - sometimes from an old sage, sometimes from someone who just jumped in and discovered something useful just because ignorance introduces some amount of objectivity. Nice work on the Mauser. It will be a source of much more satisfaction as you continue to use and refine it. Of course, you do realize that you have wandered into a realm from which you will never find your way back out of, don't you? :)

One of the best things about it is that you never stop learning new stuff - sometimes from an old sage, sometimes from someone who just jumped in and discovered something useful just because ignorance introduces some amount of objectivity. Nice work on the Mauser. It will be a source of much more satisfaction as you continue to use and refine it. Of course, you do realize that you have wandered into a realm from which you will never find your way back out of, don't you? :)

I didnt know there was a place like this... I was just stumbling along looking for a butterknife bolt handle which everyone said was never gonna be found and bam. Yes i am hooked. Ive been collecting rifles and pistols in need of repair and fixing them since i got my first 410 breakopen from a flea market when i was 10. thanks to don i have a gorgeous handle on the way and i think im gonna make some friends here and share some stories, kick up my digital feet and stay awhile. My grandfather used to tell me, " you learn something new everyday, IF you listen". this is probably the most useful, and mature forum I have found to date. thanks

img0219iy.jpg

img0217zs.jpg

Ok so I finally finished my stock. to me its beautiful. I also made a leather 4 shell buttstock holder to go with the leather cheek weld im making.

I like it. it took me around half an hour to make and an afternoon in the sun to tighten around the stock glove tight.

img0218iwb.jpg

thats all for now.

img0220f.jpg

img0221lg.jpg

this is the near finished fit. the butt pad holds the leather down in the rear and the reat sling secures it from underneath so there is no sway or rattle. with a custom leather cheek weld pad i think i may succesfully have made a mass produced stock my own. add a matching tooled sling and i think it will be really nice. the one currently on the gun is just a prototype for a pattern and fit, the final will have perfect stiching and some tooling or possibly a brand. there are so many kinds of leather i would like to use for this. everything from deer or alligator belly to some of the insane dyed cammo saftey hides. i didnt know they had a use for the hides like that till i made this.

Welcome to MFRC, mrontime, and congratulations on your build, it's a fine looking rifle. Nothing better than creating your own work of art, then sending some rounds downrange to verify. I stop in here at this forum occasionally, and like you, found a wealth of friendly information that allowed me to complete a few of my own Mauser customs. This site will not chastise you for being creative with your own firearm, unlike other sites that I've seen. Enjoy.

Spiris