Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Newbie K 98 Buidl

drgoose

I recently acquired a K98 action from gunbroker and I would like to check that I am doing things correctly.

pix507437822.jpg

This is the action.

pix098740552.jpg

Because it did not have a bolt or trigguer guard, this is what I ordered from Numrich.

Capture.jpg

Triggerguard.jpg

I still need to order a barrel and a stock. I am thinking of a heavy barrel and a composite stock. Do you guys have suggestions on who makes reasonably priced short chambered barrels that do not have an 18 month delivery time?

Thanks

Gunparts Corp is a good firm but check Springfield Sporters out as well...better prices if they have your part.

So far it looks good.

A. Does the bolt lock down fully?

B. Does the trigger engage the sear and release with about 6 lbs of pull?

C. Did you take down and clean and oil that bolt and trigger assembly?

There are issues with head-space when you put the barral on and sight alignment.

But as I have never put a barrel on a Mauser I Shall have to leave that to more knowledgeable men.

good luck

karl

Welcome.

If you are going with a sporter build, don't bother with all the little bits and pieces of that trigger guard and just get a commercial style hinged one. Addams and Bennett makes a decent threaded short chambered barrel for less than $100. You can get them from Midway.

If you get a bolt with a straight handle it is less work to forge a scope friendly handle. Look into the fund raising auction that Tanglewood is trying and just get a bolt from him. He has done several for me and he does great work.

You will probably also want to look into an aftermarket trigger. If you get your stock from Boyds, they also have about the best price on the Bold triggers.

Good luck on your project.

I got my barrel from e bay. have you educated yourself about the mausers yet? have you decided on caliber? besides having a gunsmith do it, you will need a reamer for the caliber of barrel to set headspace, a go/no go guage... dont just use a bullet, some cutting oil and possible a lathe to turn down the chamber end of the barrel in case of too much head space. google barrel reamer rental. also get a barrel vice they are worth the money or make one. dont use a pipe wrench you will regret it. there is no majic barrel that just goes on lol. this gets expensive quick, to make exactly what you want you may spend the cost of 2 used guns or more. im trying to be frugal with my build and i allready have around 700 in it, with another 500 to go on parts i still need to buy.

I got my barrel from e bay. have you educated yourself about the mausers yet? have you decided on caliber? besides having a gunsmith do it, you will need a reamer for the caliber of barrel to set headspace, a go/no go guage... dont just use a bullet, some cutting oil and possible a lathe to turn down the chamber end of the barrel in case of too much head space. google barrel reamer rental. also get a barrel vice they are worth the money or make one. dont use a pipe wrench you will regret it. there is no majic barrel that just goes on lol. this gets expensive quick, to make exactly what you want you may spend the cost of 2 used guns or more. im trying to be frugal with my build and i allready have around 700 in it, with another 500 to go on parts i still need to buy.

Thanks everyone for your reply, I am aware that doing this is going to be MUCH more expensive than just going to the local sports store and buy an equivalent rifle, I am considering this entertainment and I am going to have to pay for it, probably a lot of money upfront as and investment. I ordered last night a barrel from brownells in 6.5x55. I was planning on getting a rental reamer and T-handle from 4-D reamer rentals. Hopefully once I am done with this first build, the second one will be significantly cheaper as most of the upfront purchasing of tools will be done.