Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Case Head Seperation Help Needed

rdm1962

I took my Marlin 336 (30-30) to the range this evening. I tried to eject a fired round and all that came out was just the head of the casing. Anyone know a trick to remove the body from the chamber? Thanks Ralph

I took my Marlin 336 (30-30) to the range this evening. I tried to eject a fired round and all that came out was just the head of the casing. Anyone know a trick to remove the body from the chamber? Thanks Ralph

Happened to me years ago in my Marlin 30/30. Don't know if it will work on your's but I was able to pull it out of mine with a 410 cleaning brush. After removing the bolt I forced the 410 brush into the cartridge and while a good portion of the brush was inside the cartridge I jerked the cleaning rod back out and it pulled the brass with it.

Happened to me years ago in my Marlin 30/30. Don't know if it will work on your's but I was able to pull it out of mine with a 410 cleaning brush. After removing the bolt I forced the 410 brush into the cartridge and while a good portion of the brush was inside the cartridge I jerked the cleaning rod back out and it pulled the brass with it.

Make sure the ejector comes out and gets back in the right way, they can be overlooked.

On page 7:

http://stevespages.com/pdf/marlin_336_444_1895.pdf

I don't know anyone that makes one specifically for the 30-30 but a broken case extractor for a 30-06 would probably work although you would probably have to push it out with a cleaning rod since it will be long and the extractor probably won't fit.

Thanks to all for the info. Azrednek's idea worked great. I didn't have a 410 brush handy. I did have an old, well used 5.56 chamber brush. I pushed it in until it couldn't go any further. The body of the case came out with little effort. I'll have to keep this mind if it ever happens again. Ralph