Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Project For Christmas Vacation

drgoose

Hello everyone, I have been pretty busy lately but I am starting to plan my next build which will happen over the christmas vacation. Here is a list of stuff that I am planning on using. I want to end up with a nice range/target gun. I am debating if I really need to have the three position safety, please give me your opinion on the current components. I will be using a K98 byf 44 action.

-Shilen Match Grade Barrel Mauser Series 3 308 Winchester #7 Contour 1 in 10" Twist 26" Chrome Moly in the White

Product #: 641438.

-Bell and Carlson Medalist Varmint/Tactical Rifle Stock Mauser 98 with Aluminum Bedding Block System Varmint Barrel Channel Synthetic Black

-Timney Sportsman Rifle Trigger Mauser 98 without Safety 2 to 4 lb Blue

-Dakota Mauser 98 Bolt Shroud with 3 Position Safety Steel in the White

-Weaver Grand Slam Rifle Scope 6-20x 40mm Adjustable Objective Fine Crosshair Dot Reticle Matte

-Leupold 1-Piece Standard Scope Base Mauser 98 Gloss

Sounds like you have thought of everything.

I don't know that I would spend the extra time and money on a Dakota 3 position safety for a target rifle. My personal preference would be a Timney w/safety.

Edit; You might also consider a stronger main spring and a lightwieght alloy firing pin.

I am debating if I really need to have the three position safety, please give me your opinion on the current components.

Every time I shoot my 35 Whelen. I feel like kicking myself in the as$ for not going with the three position safety. I sent my BRNO to the original McGowen for the barrel installation and some other tasks I do not have the skills to do. If I remember right the difference in cost from McGowen combined with other services or parts was only like 25 or 30 early 90's bux more. I was way over the budget I set on the project and unfortunately declined the three position Winchester type safety opting for the two position. I can't recall all the details in my conversation with Harry McGowen but he encouraged me to ok several items or services. The three position safety was one of the things I declined.

I don't know the difference in today's cost or if you have set a budget or limit. If you go with a Winchester type safety and go for the two instead of the three position. I can assure you, you will regret it. If it is a do-it-yourself project, you have the skills and a few extra bux go for it.

Every time I shoot my 35 Whelen. I feel like kicking myself in the as$ for not going with the three position safety. I sent my BRNO to the original McGowen for the barrel installation and some other tasks I do not have the skills to do. If I remember right the difference in cost from McGowen combined with other services or parts was only like 25 or 30 early 90's bux more. I was way over the budget I set on the project and unfortunately declined the three position Winchester type safety opting for the two position. I can't recall all the details in my conversation with Harry McGowen but he encouraged me to ok several items or services. The three position safety was one of the things I declined.

I don't know the difference in today's cost or if you have set a budget or limit. If you go with a Winchester type safety and go for the two instead of the three position. I can assure you, you will regret it. If it is a do-it-yourself project, you have the skills and a few extra bux go for it.

My reason for suggesting a less expensive safety comes from my experience as a trap shooter, where frequently NO saftey will be found on the gun.

With a firearm that is purpose built for the range, I personally would put the extra cost of a hunting type safety into something else that would enhance accuracy, like a lightwieght trigger w/.

My reason for suggesting a less expensive safety comes from my experience as a trap shooter, where frequently NO saftey will be found on the gun.

With a firearm that is purpose built for the range, I personally would put the extra cost of a hunting type safety into something else that would enhance accuracy, like a lightwieght trigger w/.

That is a good point as I was thinking from a hunting stand point. Like carrying it up to a tree stand or over a mountain top.

If you go with a Winchester type safety and go for the two instead of the three position. I can assure you, you will regret it. If it is a do-it-yourself project, you have the skills and a few extra bux go for it.

I'm a little confused by this.

Having two Winchester-type safeties, a 2-position and a 3-position, the difference would be the "cycle-the-action-with-the-safety-on" position. Is not having that 3rd position that significant?

Most 2-position safeties lock the bolt; the Remington is one of the few that allows cycling the action with the safety engaged. The Savage 110 has a pseudo 3rd-position.

I'd rather have a safety on the LEFT side of the shroud, so I don't have to shift my thumb over the grip when operating it. The Savage safety up high on the tang is very effective as well.