Military Firearm Restoration Corner

installing a motherboard? brass--standoff!!

karlunity

Fellas.

I just got a new computer case and am going to install a motherboard, I have yet to pick board, but I see that the new case does not use the plastic lock sliders.

It uses little brass spacers.

Now when I put the voltameter on the brass spacers and the computer case I get a continuity reading!!!??

I assumed that the standoffs were nonconducting.

If the istandoffs are not nonconducters, won't I fry my new motherboard?

Ideas??

Karl

Not if you put them on the isolated screw holes in the board. The board itself doesn;t conduct, it is the circuits that do. For the purposes of installing the MB most of the MB's I worked on had a brass cricle with no circuits leading to it. Hope that's clearer than it sounds.

That is actually very common depending on the case manufacturer and I personally prefer them. As z1r said, it is fine to use. I think that the screw holes on the motherboards may in fact be grounding lugs that mate up to the brass risers. I have put many many of these together this way and it is the most solid mounting, thus when plugging in boards such as video cards, sound cards,etc the board is more stable. Don't let the brass worry you karl. swamp thing

most boards will have a foil around the holes in the board that are connected to the ground bus so this grounds the board. A lot of manufactures don't use the brass because people have a tendency to over torque the screws ruinning the foil and the board or just cracking the corners