Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Game Cam- What's This?

FC

IMO that's a yote. Late Nov. he is fuzzing up for winter which makes the legs appear shorter especially from that angle. Color scheme even screams yote.

Or maybe a pint size Chupacabra, they love chickens when they can't get children or sheep. :D

The hot dogs have disappeared twice in one day. Either the smaller chickens, which escape through the fencing squares are eating them, or the canine is taking off with it. I didn't see it on the game cam this morning. I'll have to make a net for the food, or wire it to the back. Maybe another meaty bone.

Those two dogs I shot a couple months back were picked at by the buzzards, but after that something left only scattered bones and half a jawbone. I saw the hind quarter on the game cam, when it was in the back of the property where the carcasses were over the fence of some sort of canine. I've never heard a coyote howl in this area though. Whatever it is with the appetite has to be eliminated, and is making the job hard.

Back a decade ago when I still lived in upstate rural NY, there were small packs of what we called Coydogs in the area, but they were quite vocal at night. More definitive pics would be nice, and hopefully you'll catch it live and take closeup pics to share.

Tony,

You need a real big box trap to trap a canine. If you have a dog/coyote problem and you live out in the woods, you ought to figure out how to set some snares. They're somewhat safer than leg-hold traps because you and your chickens won't step on them and they work. My friends that live down by the river frequently trap problem coyotes with them. I'm not saying they're most humane solution but if you're trying to protect your livestock, you might think it over.

I bought some stainless steel snares some time ago and never used them. They are for the head, right? The cage I have has caught a big dog before.

This darned possum got away last night. The cage door didn't lock when it fell shut. I'll use a wiener in a medium cage. As you can see, he is very well fed.

post-1-0-57521400-1354481659_thumb.jpg