Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser Barrel Removal

Clemson

I posted a tutorial for stock removal in the Mauser forum. This series shows removal of the barrel from a Bosnian M48 Mauser. The steps are applicable to virtually any Model 98 Mauser.

A few of the tools required for barrel removal; Gatorade is optional but recommended:

IPB Image

Dust rosin on the vise bushing halves:

IPB Image

Tighten the barrel vise. This one is a Brownell's vise with bushings that I made in the lathe.

IPB Image

Attach the receiver wrench to the action. Spray Kroil into the barrel-receiver joint both outside and inside. That is a steel cheater sticking out of the end of the wrench.

IPB Image

Unfortunately the cheater didn't work. These M48 barrels are tight! I had to use the BFH to break loose the action.

IPB Image

Screw the action off the barrel. This photo shows the "Safety Breech" of the M48 barrels.

IPB Image

Clemson

Great post aside, I am quite frankly green with envy at the shop space you've got there Clemson!

I hope you'll forgive me if I add a couple of (perhaps helpful) suggestions to your already great thread, Clemson.

I think it was Welch who suggested soaking the receiver/barrel combination in mineral spirits. To do this, I got a piece of PVC pipe, and glued a cap on one end. It just fits around the receiver, and I can soak the combo using minimal mineral spirits.

I did this for about three days for the barrel I removed on Saturday.

Also... I know you've removed many, many more barrels than I, but I have to suggest using PB Blaster in lieu of Kroil.

In general I'm a Kroil advocate, but for whatever the reasons the barrels have come off more easily for me with PB Blaster.

Once again, I took my time: After soaking in mineral spirits, I applied the PB Blaster every once in a while the night before I removed the barrel.

I post this with full recognition that compared to you, Clemson, I'm still a novice.

So please don't take offense.

flaco

Did you make the action wrench, too?

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Flaco, where have you been? It is high time you did another rifle! If you will look carefully in this pic from the thread in the Mauser section, you will see a can of PB Blaster behind the bottle of lathe spindle oil. I have it, and I use it, but in my experience, there is nothing else that will penetrate like Kroil. IPB Image

I cleaned the whole works with mineral spirits between disassembly and taking the barrel off. Just be careful to get it all the residual mineral spirits and grease off the barrel before you clamp it in the vise. Mineral spirits just won't penetrate like the Kroil or PB Blaster will. The key on getting a stuck barrel loose is the hammer. I did not make that particular action wrench. I bought it from an internet sale, and I honestly don't recall who made it. It is quite sturdy and well-made, and a 7/8" bar in the square tube handle works great for a cheater.

roscodoh: I stole a corner of a lab at my workplace to put in the lathe and the workbench. It is kinda nice to be able to maneuver in there. The biggest plus is that the room is airconditioned! The downside is that the tool that I usually need is always in the other shop (aka garage). I had to borrow the BFH from one of my mechanics because mine was in the other toolbox.

Are we having fun yet?

Clemson

Hey Clemson-

To answer your question, I have a couple of projects that are moving along at a glacial pace. This is frustrating.

And... I'd like to confirm your suggestion about the BFH.

If the barrel starts to slip in the barrel vise, it's a big PITA, as the barrel and bushings get polished.

Best to strike that first decisive blow with the BFH.

Call it the "Shock and Awe" approach to barrel removal.

flaco